BASS BARN banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got the bug yesterday to start pulling a couple old favorites off the wall, strip the rusty old hooks off, sand them down, and give them a new finish.....

I'm starting off with three, a needlefish of unknown origins, a Stan Gibbs swimmer, and a Creek Chub surface popper....

I've done this before using whatever I had in the garage....usually Rustolium, or some other 1/2 pint of enamel. Most of these paints are beyond use now. Then I'd clear coat them with high gloss spar varnish....(they looked good but that system doesn't hold up well around rocks)

I picked up several colors of Krylon Short-cuts hobby & crafts enamel with the original intentions of clear coating them with Flex Coat, but that product takes too long to cure, so I picked up a small epoxy surfboard repair kit that contains an ultra clear 2 part epoxy that sets up in 30 minutes, and fully cures in a couple hours......

If this works out I may attack a few more of my retired plugs.....

Sorry for the low quality cell phone camera pic's, I'll take better photos when they are done......

Any advice you pro plug builders can offer will be appreciated......:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
A little farther along, and better photo's here....

Keep in mind I do not have any spray or air brush equipment, I'm doing this all by hand with brushes....and my hands aren't as steady as they used to be.....:please:

Pink & silver popper.....(still needs a touch up here and there)....

All black needlefish.....

Black & silver Stan Gibbs....

The paints I'm using.....

The Epoxy for the finish coat.....

A few more possible candidates for a refin......

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.