BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
17,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had my first trip this season. Started at 6 am, drifting a white bucktail with salted mackerel strips. Not a touch. Switched to a 3/8 chartreuse bucktail with the mackerel and had 2 shorts at 16” each.
Mojo Rising was out there too. I waited for the tide to turn, and didn’t really give it a chance.
Incoming tide, water quality was good. Water temp 61, no wind. Gnats bad.
Stay tuned.

·
Registered
27,004 Posts
Swam out to my wreck on the beach at low tide hoping for Trout or flounder. Caught a lizardfish. Had a fish most likely a fluke who used the wreck to keep from coming up and spit the hook. The currents are no joke right now.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
I've only been out once this season and got my 3. My buddy has been fishing 3-4 days a week since the opener and doing very well in 6-15ft of water.....limits most days, some days he's been releasing a bunch of fish over 20" but struggling to find the unders

·
Registered
17,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fished again this morning on the incoming tide, had a couple shorts then had a keeper almost at the top of the tide. Then caught another keeper after the tide switched. Overall, I had 9 fish. The first keeper hit the chartreuse bucktail with astrip of salted mackerel . The other hit a white bucktail and new penny gulp twister.
Nice morning, water temps 65 at top of tide, then 69 once the tide started moving out. Water quality was good, winds light and gnatty in between tides as the wind dropped out.

·
Registered
14,005 Posts
Gnats are bad right now. Only been out once with a couple of keepers, my brother in law has been out 5 times, keepers each time, one trip slayed them, caught 6 over 18” (Of course, didn’t catch any slots that day…doh!)
clamming today, fishing Thursday AM

·
Registered
27,004 Posts
My first mate
Clean cut and shaven.

So the weekend is rolling in and we have high winds-20 mph plus Sat and Sun. Beautiful during this week. Finally have a fish killing machine and it looks like unfishable conditions.

Going to have to start up “important meetings” when the conditions are right during the week.

·
Registered
17,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Friday report: Fished the incoming tide and a little but of the outgoing. I had about 5-6 fish, with a 21”, 17.5” and a 17” to limit out. I caught the two bigger ones on the incoming tide, and the 17” after the tide switched. The big un hit a chartreuse bucktail with mackerel but just ripped off the bait. I cast beyond where it hit with a white bucktail with a strip of Salmon belly and did a slow retrieve and then boom! When i got it into the boat, it was spitting up crabs.
Water was about 67 at the top then warmed up to about 70 on the way out. Water was clean.

Today,I fished about 2.5 hours til the top of the tide. Had a friend from the dock onboard as his console gauges were on the blink. Beautiful out there, little boat traffic this morning which was surprising. The bite was off today, as we just managed about 4 shorts each. Did not wait for the tide switch but the boat traffic picked up as the tide came up.
Water was 68 again and clean.

·
Registered
17,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have been moving the rod tip down with the bucktail hits, letting the fish take it. I have noticed significant improvement lol in my catch ratio.

·
Registered
17,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Headed out this afternoon for incoming tide. Wind against tide, water quality was bad, not a touch except for a small doggie that hit my white bucktail with a strip of salmon belly. I am planning to head out very early in the morning to fish the outgoing tide.

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
Headed out this afternoon for incoming tide. Wind against tide, water quality was bad, not a touch except for a small doggie that hit my white bucktail with a strip of salmon belly. I am planning to head out very early in the morning to fish the outgoing tide.
That wind against tide was horrible this afternoon. If I wasn't chomping at bit to go, I would not have even gone. Caught one short and that was it.

·
Registered
17,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Made it out at the top of the tide this morning for the outgoing. Water quality was good, water temp 65-67. A good amount of boats out early today. Wasn’t much of a bite going on. I had one short that came off at the boat, then had a good size one, never saw it, as I tried to keep pressure on it while going for the net. Then it was gone. I think the area where I have been fishing is fished out of keeper flounder.

Reactions: fish643

·
Registered
26,067 Posts
Or I just can’t fish lol
Don’t be hard on yourself.
Whenever I didn’t catch Fluke, I would say ‘they were there but had lockjaw’ that day.

No doubt it was self delusion, but allowed me some feeling of competence. I know I was only fooling myself, because after 43 years of marriage when I got home my wife would roll her eyes and say ….. at least it wasn’t ‘wind against the tide’.

You will get the big one next time. Optimism springs eternal, good luck.

·
Registered
27,004 Posts
Going out tomorrow in the basin for reds. Been good action there for them but the flounder are all over the basin. When I bought my bait today the guy at the counter said you are going to kill the flounder. Will post up tomorrow.

·
Registered
17,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I painted the stairs with the first coat, then Mojo was headed out….I had to wait for the paint to dry lol so I met him out there around 4:30. About 2 hours before the top of the tide. Water was clean, but cold, 63-64. Manage a couple shorts on my first long drift. Made a similar drift the next time without abite so I moved to another area that a bridge was feeding nice clean incoming water.
I was in 8-10 feet of water and had 4 shorts to 15”.
The little guys were hungry; the big uns had lockjaw. No wind against tide today, winds were calm.
Tomorrow is a weather event, so I will be painting. Next fishable day looks like Monday afternoon for me.

·
Registered
27,004 Posts
Got out and early start. Did not catch the elusive Red Drum but saw one caught on the boat next to me. I caught a Black Sea Bass and a croaker on a red drum Carolina rig with minnows Also had a nice flounder but he gave me the head shake before I could net him and take his picture. The best part is I found a really solid flounder spot for when the season starts.

Question has anyone tried the killies on a wet towel method for keeping them alive overnight? When I buy minnows (killies) they typically keep overnight this morning half were dead. When my bait guy found that I was local he loaded me up and probably put too much in my bucket.

Hood Azure Paint Painting Tints and shades
Hood Fishing net Azure Fish Electric blue

·
Registered
17,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Snapper, nice report. I don’t think I have caught croaker down there.
minnows, why dont you just get a 5 gallon bucket with the battery aerator? The minnows will live in freshwater, just keep them in the bucket with freshwater and aerator.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts