BASS BARN banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
27,007 Posts
Thanks never caught a BSB or Croaker with a minnow. The spot I fished is a confluence of a creek draining behind the beach, main channel and a man made harbor at a flowing low tide. It is great spot I have caught flounder, puppy drum, black drum, Blues, croakers puffers etc.

So if i buy the bubbler, do I fill wth tap water?

·
Registered
17,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Thanks never caught a BSB or Croaker with a minnow. The spot I fished is a confluence of a creek draining behind the beach, main channel and a man made harbor at a flowing low tide. It is great spot I have caught flounder, puppy drum, black drum, Blues, croakers puffers etc.

So if i buy the bubbler, do I fill wth tap water?
Yeah, I would try it with a few minnows first to see how it does. But my local tackle shop keeps his minnies in the sink with fresh water.

·
Registered
17,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Drove over the 52 causeway into OC early this morning, glass out there, no wind. Some boats. I may try to get out later this afternoon but if not, I hope to go early tomorrow morning. The rest of the week looks like wind.

·
Registered
17,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I gave it a shot from 4 to 5:30. Drifted the same line as I did late Sunday on the incoming. Wind wasn’t as bad out of the southwest, but enough to slow down the drift. Water murky from the river and the ocean water was still working its way into the back. I had 2 shorts, a couple other hits. Eh, it beat sitting in the office.
Water was 72-73 and dropping as the colder water moved in. I didn’t have time to stay out longer.
I think I am going to start targeting weakfish on these late afternoon trips.

Reactions: wired98

·
Registered
17,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Where to start? First, I overslept. Whether I was going fishing or to work, I had a late start. I thought I had to meet a client, but then learned he was fishing! So I quickly got myself together and over to the boat around 10. Put in $150 worth of gas, then went behind Somers Point area. I was fishing the flats, about 7-10’ of water, had a doggie first, then a couple shorts. Moved for the outgoing around 11:30 and managed just a couple more shorts, then the wind started honking. Luckily wind was with the tide.
Water was iffy. Murky and I attribute that to the high tides and the mud off the marshes. No weed really but clarity wasnt there. Water was 71-72. Called the ball at 12:30 and headed into the office.
I need to up my game. Ugh.

·
Registered
17,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Not sure how many if you are fishing the Brutus tomorrow. I can’t do it, although I hope to fish a couple hours early. But the wind really picks up around noon, probably just like today except out of the NW.
Good luck to everyone fishing it, if I could spend all day out there, I probably would have participated.

·
Registered
17,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Snapper, I have found that shrimp works for me better than finger mullet, with the exception of red drum. I catch everything on shrimp.
I love the way the flounder look down there. Their camouflage is the perfect color with the light sand.

·
Registered
27,007 Posts
Snapper, I have found that shrimp works for me better than finger mullet, with the exception of red drum. I catch everything on shrimp.
I love the way the flounder look down there. Their camouflage is the perfect color with the light sand.
The flounder hit the shrimp the moment it hit water. Thought it was another pinfish.

·
Registered
17,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
A late report from Monday. Went out about 12:30 for the high at 2/2:30. First thing I noticed was the water was cold. 60. Had a couple shorts just before the top and spent about a half hour fishing heavily in that area with no other bites. I moved off then Mojo Rising jumped in the spot for the outgoing . He hooked a couple slots there, while I found another patch of larger fish, had probably a 17” but measured it in the rubber net and given my lethargic performance of late, I decided to let it go. Water warmed up to 62 and the bite really turned on once the tide started moving. Wind went slack for about 20 minutes then switched onshore. I left about 5 minutes after the wind switched. Had probably 7-8 fish. All caught on the 5/8 road apple with a new penny gulp twister and strip of salmon belly. I started out trying aMagic tail 3/4 oz, white with no luck at all. I had one small flounder on a chartreuse bucktail with a white/chartreuse tail gulp twister. Forgot my tag bag, I want to start tagging all these small flounder.

·
Registered
17,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Today was day that was up in the air with the weather, we had a weird line of rain but it never quite made it to our area. After a long day at the office, my bud Tom met me and we headed out for the incoming to top to outgoing. He brought some eels for the chance to catch some bass by the bridges. After a few drifts for flounder, we hit the bridge for bass. I set my boy right on a nice bass. Second time around he hooked up but the line got caught up on a snag, same for his next drift. I said, ai am going for one, and immediately connected . We only had 4 eels but it was a blast.
After that we focused on the flounder. Water was very clean, 64 degrees and a light wind out of the NE. We caught alot of shorts, probably over 20 and a few dogs since he was fishing some fresh bunker.
Then Tom had 2 nice keeper fish, and I was determined. Boom, a 22” hit the road apple bucktail with a new penny shrimp! We had a great late afternoon of fishing.
Cloud Water Sky Vertebrate Smile
Water Sky Cloud Smile Sleeve

·
Registered
17,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Got out today with my son and hit the outgoing. There were quite a few boats in the area. We found a slot drift that produced every time, managed over 20 and kept 3 nice fatties for the table. Wonderful day.
That’s great.
Keep posting reports, good or bad.

·
Registered
17,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
I went out today late, around 4. Line in the water at 4:30. Horrible wind against tide. Not brutal, but enough to make it difficult. Weed was an issue today too. First couple drifts i kinda knew I was wasting my time but I had nothing better to do except paint.
A couple drifts for flounder made me try for the bass, so I riggged up my bass rod with an eel and tried a dew passes under the bridge. No much happening. Water was a bit warmer up to 68 when Thursday it was around what, 64?
A couple short flounder that I didn’t even need the net. Awful.
plan is to hit early tomorrow morning at dawn. I still have eels so lets see what the tide brings in.

·
Registered
17,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Well I didn’t make it out this morning. The wind will be a deterrent this afternoon. Looks like I will do some maintenance on the Retainer today.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts