BASS BARN banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I figured I would share my experience with this trolling motor and start a new thread on it. I have approximately 70ish hours of run time since I installed it in May. This is the 72" 24v 80lb thrust unit installed on a 21' 1989 Mako with a t top and enclosure- not a lightweight bay boat by any means. First of all the motor is a beast I have not encountered a current it can't hold me in. Last night pulling me into a creek with the tide I was going 4 mph on high setting! The spot lock is amazing, once it settles in you don't move. Battery run time is also excellent I have yet to even get the battery near low voltage cut off, yes I said battery as in single 24v battery! Some tips for future installations that I have encountered- I used 3/4" starboard as my top plate to install the unit- it is very strong but every inch above deck you mount the thing you lose valuable shaft length into the water. It comes with a ram mount head stabilizer, I mounted the stabilizer on the deck and also lost a few valuable inches of shaft length by not having the ball on the shaft as far up towards the control head losing a couple more inches of depth. This is easily addressable but requires me to fill in holes and remount the deck fitting for the stabilizer so that will happen at a later date. All in all it works fantastic in the bay and around bridges and it works in the ocean if its flat up to about 2' chop then she starts popping out. This is where every inch counts so to say- the more deep you get the shaft the better it holds in rough water. Another feature I like is how easy it is to remove from the boat- unplug the unit, pull a pin and it comes right off and has a carry handle so easy to remove if you need to.

I have had some issues related to me learning a new piece of equipment. I wet slip the boat and started out by just hosing it off after every use. Well I started having issues deploying as it would get stuck in the stowed position. Being a typical monkey that I am I would just stomp on the release handle and shake the unit until it popped free. Well I ended up bending the metal for the release pedal and it also may have contributed to my second issue. More on that next. I remedied the sticky release by spraying corrosion x on the linkage. I later found out my issue had nothing to do with the linkage but it was the shaft going through the steering box that was getting stuck. Rhodan told me to keep the shaft lubed (insert joke here) with petroleum jelly where it sits in the steering box. This instantly solved all my stow/deploy issues. I used gasket lube as that is what I had on the boat. The first major issue happened a few days ago. I was working the color change off the inlet picking up spainish macs and small sharks on lures and peanuts. Unit worked great all day until I took it off spot lock and it wouldn't turn anymore. Called Rhodan when I got home, tech Jeff told me its the steering box also said I likely damaged it by beating on the thing getting it deployed etc, and told me the trick about the lube. Also said never to move the boat with main engine and unit deployed and using the unit when its too rough and is popping out will contribute to stearing gear issues. That day he sends out the parts Fed ex, including a new release pedal which I had mangled. I get the new steering box with clear instructions on how to install it. I set up the dining room table for surgery and get to work, surprisingly it was a piece of cake to install the new parts! I started the project 5pm last night and was throwing topwater by 7 with a now perfectly functioning unit! I have to say the boys at Rhodan are always a pleasure to speak to and customer service is top notch. I hope to be a bit gentler on the unit and we shall see if the new steering box holds up better.

That being said the overall consensus with this thing is it is an amazing piece of fishing gear and I use it everytime I leave the dock (except for the day I ran to lobster claw - took it off) It is absolutely worth it and will never be able to go back to not having one on my boat- thank you Rhodan.

·
Registered
12,653 Posts
My brother had an issue with his 84" over weekend-we couldn't get it to lock in when time to restow it. We ended up taking it off and laying on deck for rest of day.

He called rhodan they called back and sending him a box postage paid to ship back to them. Great co service so far

·
Registered
851 Posts
What is your height from the bow to the waterline? I am looking at the same unit (24v 72") for my 21. But I want to use it out on the reefs. If it doesn't stay in the water with a 2 foot chop then I will go for the longer model - but that means 36v system.

Have any pics of your install?

·
Registered
415 Posts
Not a rhodan but when I installed my minn kota I originally bought a used 72" shaft from a friend for my 21 parker ( i don't remember exact waterline measurement, I wanna say 45"). First time I used it spring togging was a very windy day but out of the west, well even a slight chop right off the beach the unit cavitated to the point where I couldn't watch it bounce and swing around despite the fact that it also wouldn't hold me. Ended up selling the 72" and bought a new 86" shaft. I haven't been out yet where it wouldn't hold me now in very similar conditions. I already had a 36 volt system from the 72" shaft, so it wasn't a huge deal for me other than the extra money. I could not be happier with the motor though, I'll never own a small boat without one. My suggestion though, if you have battery storage, go for the longest shaft you can.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have used it on the wrecks and it works pretty good 2’ chop is a good estimate of its limit- I do ask one of my buddies to fish from bow and that helps keep it in the water. The bow of the 21’ Mako isn’t that high above the water line. Hopefully after this blow settles down I will be doing a little more wreck fishing. How do I post pics- I stopped when photobucket bit the dust.

·
Registered
128 Posts
It is a game changer for me. I love it! I have it on my 28 Bertram and it holds me for about 6 hours with the 36v 120lb 84". Please be sure to not skimp or cut corners on the mounting of this beast. It has a lot of power and can and will cause injury if you aren't careful. It was a tough mount on my boat as I needed a lot of spacers to get it level due to the curving front deck. If you don't have much meat to mount to, then you will need to use a backing plate to stop this thing from tearing through your bow.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I used it yesterday (Saturday) did a combination of slow drifting and spot locking and it worked fine very little cavitation. 1 20” fluke, a big trigger, some short fluke and some sea bass was the result. Rhodan is sending me the part to fix my original steering box so I will have a spare.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts