BASS BARN banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As we await the water temp to inch up a few more degrees, I thought I'd give you an update on the trout situation at Ridley Creek. I had the afternoon off today and I went to Ridley. I caught 3 missed 2, one was a brown close to 20", but fought like it didn't care. It was big and very fat but hardly pulled the drag out on my 2wt. I caught the others on a size 14 parachute hendrickson that I cut the tail off to make it look like a stonefly....there were plenty about, but very few rishing fish. To top it off, as I was about to leave the PFBC arrived with a truck of fish, they put in about 300 from the dam to the bridge. Fishing should be good there if you care for stockies.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Venator:
There all stockies in the creek. Though there's always been a rumor of some fish spawning in Dismal Run at the end of the FFO stretch. I know the local TU feeds them all winter otherwise they'd look the spring run bluefish with big heads and thin bodies. I like to fish the stretch from the bridge down to the lower parking area. The little black caddis should start hatching in about two weeks. You'll get some dry fly action then.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Philly,
Yes, all stockies...I was just trying to imply that it isn't all that exciting....but it beats doing nothing.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Every been there on a day when they won't eat anything. Those fish see a lot of flies, and for a stream that small, a lot of nymphs. I mainly fish dry flies, caddis and midges even this time of year. My most productive nymph has been a beadhead soft hackle PT Nymph, size 14 to 18. Good place to go on opening day, the FFO stretch that is.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
True enough....they see so many flys I think they can tell the difference from a commercial fly and a home tied one...probably even the names of the flys as well; when the water's clear it can be even harder. But they still don't know how to fight. It seems that they are somewhat willing to take a dry...I've had most luck year round with a size 14-16 black colored dry - caddis, ant any black or darker dubbed fly with no tail, hackle doesn't seem to matter. My theroy is that there are a lots of ants that drop into the water and the fish are used to looking up for them.

·
Registered
7,957 Posts
Nice trout report. Sounds like spring is getting closer and it is a good warm up. I am hoping for my first New Jersey freshwater trout experience soon. Hope to go with a couple of guys who can show me the ropes cause it will be awhile for saltwater to warm up.

·
Registered
13,030 Posts
I have actually caught 2 and 3 inch trout there. So that would tell me there are resident trout there. HAPPY DAYS.

Ding

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Originally posted by Ding:
I have actually caught 2 and 3 inch trout there. So that would tell me there are resident trout there. HAPPY DAYS.

Ding
At least you practiced C&R on those....didn't you? :confused: ;) :D

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Ding I 2nd that,just under the falls with a bead head,let me know about your shop.It would be nice to have a place to go near home that aren't trying to rape the average Joe.....you know what I meen.Good Luck.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I am a member of the Delco manning TU which monitors the stream. We have been feeding through the winter and a few fish are left over from the November stocking. State put 400 in on Monday. I went today and caught about 30. It was rediculous. Dumbest fish I have ever seen. Also found some 2/0 hooks on 45 lb test below the falls. If anyone sees these morons kick them out and call the cops if that doesnt work. Philly when are you working the show. I will be up with Barry on Sunday. You still need to show me some of your minnow vpatterns. :D

·
Registered
420 Posts
I'll be working on Saturday the 13th. I'm tying at the shop tomorrow(the 6th). I'll be doing warm water patterns, which in my case is pretty much my salt water box downsized.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts