BASS BARN banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sitting here bored, want to snell, and tie up some rigs for chunking on the Delaware bay while i have some spare time. Gonna do a few with regular octupus, and some with circles. What pound test leaders do you guys use??? I got some 7/0, 8/0 gamagatzus. Also, those of you that use mono on your reels, what test do you use. Spooling up some charter special 2000's, and a shimano baitrunner 4500. Thanks, shedhunta

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Yep,

What striperbob said. I use circles (only), gammies,owner and penn. 40-50lb should be plenty.
I would with 20lb up to 30lb depending on rod and reel. Spinning or conventional. Hope it helps.

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
30# Power pro is a pretty good all around line choice, But like Dogg said, depending on the tackle you might get away with 20#.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
I use 40# Fluoro or Mono and 8/0-10/0 Gami Octopus Hooks.
I also use 30# Power Pro.
Good Luck ,HRL

[ 09-26-2005, 05:14 AM: Message edited by: Bunka Chunka ]

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
30 lb big game mono
spinning 650 penn 6500 shimano
310 320 Penn GTI conventional
50 lb leader...2'-4'
Mustad true Circle

mounted to telephone poles

cause the big ones WILL come by :D

nothing like watching your weight come out of the water while she's still out there....

give me that cold spray.....

[ 09-26-2005, 10:06 AM: Message edited by: design ]

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
I use 40lb mono for the leaders and I have 30 lb Spiderwire Stealth on my conventional reels and 20lb mono on the spinners. I use 8/0 gammi circles.

·
Registered
16,329 Posts
Shedhunta..we use the Charter Special 2000's for all our chunking rods. I spool them all. I go about 1/3 of the spool w/ 20 or 30 lb. mono for backing. Join a 300 yard spool of 50 lb. power pro to the backing w/ a uni to uni knot and spool the entire 300 yards of 50 lb. power pro on tight! and that's the key, tight w/ the rod humped over like you're fighting a tuna the whole time. Word of caution, most tackle shops do not spool braid tight enough..do it yourself or let it all out tied to a tree in a field or to a one ounce sinker while running out and reel it all back in tight so your line doesn't bury itself into the spool and cause a break off. We use 50 lb. flouro for the leaders snelled to 8-10/0 J-hooks. We've never lost a fish, ever! During last years Utsch's tourney, one of our guys caught a 30+ lb. bass that had someones rig hanging from it's jaw w/ an inch of 30 lb. power pro hanging off the barrel swivel!! While I've caught plenty of bass on 30 lb. power pro, 50 lb. is best, more strength and abrasion resistance you might need for the big one. If using mono go w/ 20-30 lb. test...I like 25 or 30.

[ 09-26-2005, 12:46 PM: Message edited by: CaptG ]

·
Registered
13,997 Posts
Agree with CaptG, no sense in using 30lb PP when going to 50 PP is all upside potential.

·
Registered
12,869 Posts
Just spooled up a 975 30 lbs mono with 150 yards 30 lb Tuffline topshot. Wanted to go Hi Vis but tackle shop didnt carry it. Reel was in for repair anyway so had em clean her up and new line

[ 09-26-2005, 05:24 PM: Message edited by: Spooled ]

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Originally posted by TWIN D'S:
Agree with CaptG, no sense in using 30lb PP when going to 50 PP is all upside potential.
Exactly what I was thinking, also don't forget to have your drags set properly ;) I would hate to find out they weren't set right on a big fish.....

Also don't forget to remove the bunker scales from the point of your hook after you pull it through the bait
Come on cooler water temps :D

·
Registered
16,329 Posts
Hey Phil, you still got that poor suckers rig? :D That bass was another reminder why you should strip a couple feet of line off and retie every couple bass, or atleast every trip, that first couple feet and the knot take a beating from the weight, bottom, etc.. DP, even w/ the 50 lb. line and leader, w/ the lever drag reals I set the drags as if we were using 30 lbs. test i.e., 8 lbs. at strike which is plenty for most bass and if you need it you have up to 13 lbs. or so at full...plenty to stop any bass and don't have to worry about breaking the 50 lb.

[ 09-26-2005, 02:22 PM: Message edited by: CaptG ]

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the info everyone. I have used fireline on my baitcasters before. My conventionals seem to handle fireline better than power pro. Got a rod rated 15-30#, 7ft, 1-4 oz. Figure that will be enough rod???? Gonna start tying some leaders tonight. Thanks again. shedhunta

·
Registered
16,329 Posts
That rod should handle the job nicely. Fireline in 30 lb. is plenty, it's stronger than the same rated power pro.

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
I have been using the Fireline and find it is less forgiving when tangled with other lines and reduces the tangles around your terminal tackle because is is slightly more stout then PP. Like Capt G mentioned you must install your braid the proper way or you WILL loose big fish on occasion due to over run cut thru's on the edges of your spool. With 50 PP this is less likely to happen then with 30 PP. I have lost two BIG bass (40lb+) in heavy current this way with the braid installed properly. :( Use 50 PP or Fireline, installed properly you should be okay.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts