BASS BARN banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a cooler full of mackerel yesterday out of Belmar. Lots of smaller sized too small for mako bait (7-9") so I want to try rigging them for BFT. Anybody have a good technique to rig them up nice? I realize they will be more work than rigging ballys, but they are beautiful baits and I'm sure they'll catch if I can get them to swim right.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
From what I gather up north they use a skewer and somehow rig it up so it's like yo yo'in a bunker for bass. I was showed once but forget. I know once it was done it looked really deadly! But I think thats more of a drifting technique .

·
Registered
61 Posts
there is a very well known charter boat up on the cape with a video out. they are not a sponsor here,so not sure if i can post it or not, but the video is very good. look around a little it isnt hard to find.

·
Registered
924 Posts
mahi ,bft

I went 2 years ago for bait and caugt a mix of size's of macks small to large.I used them on a pin rig islander which worked though they get soft faster than bally.that year the fish were eating macks that were bait present in area but I caught a little of everything on them from fluke to shark,tuna and mahi.

·
Registered
292 Posts
That would be Capt Damo Sacco on the Castafari. He has a video on his site he sells that will teach you to properly hydro gut, brine, rig, and troll Macks for BFT. Worth every penny of the 30.00.

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
From what I gather up north they use a skewer and somehow rig it up so it's like yo yo'in a bunker for bass. I was showed once but forget. I know once it was done it looked really deadly! But I think thats more of a drifting technique .
That's a "stick mack". They use that up off NE to bait fish giants on a kite or mid in the water column,

Trolling is a little different (and easier). I've never done it. However, from what I gather, it's not too hard. You need to gut the mack, then sew up the cavity. Make sure everything is down the center. Hooked baits have the hook protruding out the vent. The leader is secured inside the also sewn shut mouth.

I've heard guys who rig spreader bars with them use clips through the mouth to hold the teaser baits.

I'd love to hear more about this from guys who know. Couple years ago we saw a school of giants inside the wilmington. Would love to have a mack daisy chain ready for such an occasion.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Used to rig macs in daisy chains and spreader bars...in the Bicardi days for giants. Sure hope you brined them real well as the bellies will always blow out. Brine, brine, brine! We actually used to jet out the guts when caught and /or inject a heavy brine into the stomach. Too late for you, for that now. If your rigging single macs for the troll you can rig them as you would rig a swimming mullet, wire or mono and chin weighted to make them swim. You can skip them or swim them. We did alot of daisy chains that worked real well. They make clips to easy rig the forward baits. I used to use a Chinese handcuff on small macs over the body around the belly to stop blow out. Put a tooth pic threw the back meat and forward to hold on the hand cuff or a quick stitch.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts