BASS BARN banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
19,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I am a virgin tog fisherman, what do you guys recommend for toggin in the back bays?

What kind of rig setup do you all use? I know a stout rod is recommended so they don't get into the rocks or into the holes, but I need some pointers

I am assuming green crabs are the recommended baits for togging? Can you chum for them?

Lastly, where is a good place for buying green crabs?

·
Registered
820 Posts
Green crabs, clam, and conch will all work, as well as the little grey sand crabs that dig into the surf while the water is pulling back, but fiddler crabs will work great also. Go to a sod bank when it is low tide with a strong stick or something you can push into the sod- about 10" long. You probably will see them scatter to their holes when you walk out. Look into the holes and see if you see their bodies- usually they are only about an inch from the opening. If so, place the stick about 3 inches past the direction the hole is going and push down. You will feel the hole when you go through. The crab is trapped now. You should be able to pull the stick toward the opening to force the crab out. Grab it, rip off the big claw and place it into a slippery bucket of some sort. They will be able to climb out if it is not slick enough.
As for the rigs, someone else should be able to help you out better than I. I am not good at catching those damn tog. you have to be quick!!!

·
Registered
7,977 Posts
Brandywine Light House, South jetty at Coast Guard Station if it is still legal to there, the jetties and ice breakers off Lewes all hold tog and the artifical reef right behind Brown Shoal. There is one catch to all this that no one seems to acknowledge. These fish are inshore to mate and take years to mature enough to spawn. Catching a wheel barrel full of them in the spring is about as easy fishing as it gets. We always used Calico crabs but any crab will work including clams. One day about 12 years ago we loaded up in late May at the Spartan Wreck which is part of the Starship reef site about a 1/2 mile from the Coral Beds over at Slaughter Beach, DE and noticed almost all the fish had row or sperm and realized we were killing the spawners. That was the last trip we ever ran for Tog in the spring. That is why the laws limit Tog fishing in the next few weeks. Since we do not fish for them I am not up on the current regulations but there has been an effort to protect the inshore spawners. I have no problem fishing for them because they are great to eat and can really pull but some type of consideration should be given to limiting your catch for the survial for future generations. If the fish is spawning throw it back and be glad you did the right thing.
Capt John

·
Registered
19,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Captain John,
Thanks for the quick background on them. We are not looking to slaughter them, but since we have never fished for them, I thought it would nice to try. PLus 1 or 2 would be great eating

What types and sizes of hooks did you use? I am assuming J hooks with a heavy mono or flouro leader but what size? How about weight? Do you use fishfinder rigs or a non sliding weight?

Do you fish directly on bottom or keep it off bottom just a hair?

·
Registered
7,977 Posts
Rusty scupper suggestions are right on with the hooks ect. Not sure in sod banks hold tog because we always fish for them around rocks, wrecks and jetties. Many years ago I fished for them on the North Jetty at Barngett and went through a whole pale of green crabs because I had not mastered how quick Tog will steal your bait. It took a couple of trip before I finally got half way decent and able to actually catch a few. They will humble you.
Capt John

·
Registered
15,739 Posts
Jason,
Try the bridges closest to the inlets. There are so nice ones caught at both the NW toll bridge and Stone Harbor free bridge by boat around the pilings. Structure is key.

As far as rigs, I go simple. 40lb test at least with an end loop for the sinker and a dropper loop about 12"-16" up for the hook. I go with strong, smaller hooks, size 4. And enough weight to hold bottom firm.

I like green crabs and "jetty" crabs. The green crabs are cheap and easy to get at any tackle shop. I take off the shells and legs and cut them into 2 to 4 pieces depending on size of the crab.
The "jetty" crabs you can get by finding a jetty or any rockpile at low tide. Start turning over rocks and they are usually all over close to the tide line. I use them whole.

·
Registered
19,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Rusty and Barn, Thanks for the tips.
Now anyone have a place for bait down in Sea Isle or Strathmere?

Is whale creek open yet?

·
Registered
16,322 Posts
Originally posted by Captain's John & Diana:
One day about 12 years ago we loaded up in late May at the Spartan Wreck which is part of the Starship reef site about a 1/2 mile from the Coral Beds over at Slaughter Beach, DE and noticed almost all the fish had row or sperm and realized we were killing the spawners. That was the last trip we ever ran for Tog in the spring. That is why the laws limit Tog fishing in the next few weeks. Since we do not fish for them I am not up on the current regulations but there has been an effort to protect the inshore spawners. I have no problem fishing for them because they are great to eat and can really pull but some type of consideration should be given to limiting your catch for the survial for future generations. If the fish is spawning throw it back and be glad you did the right thing.
Capt John
Agreed Capt. John..fish for them all you want in the Spring, but exercise restraint in keeping a limit for a boat full of guys, these fish are spawning, let them do their thing so we have tog in the future. Kill your limit all you want come the fall, but try to exercise restraint in the spring! We need more Capts. like you Capt. John!

[ 05-10-2005, 09:23 AM: Message edited by: CaptG ]

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
I have fished for them from the Sod banks in a boat and the captain just put the bow of the boat onto the bank so we could fish straight up and down the tog like those area's at least where we fished for em. It was fall but we caught a bunch on green crabs. It was a good time.

I guess you can only fish this way at or near high tide.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
If you really want to get fancy...you can make yourself a grapnel out of rebar and a pipe...then anchor up next to the sod bank and slide the boat to the sod bank and use the grapnel thrown up in the sod to control your side to side movement....or tie of to bridge pilings..

For rigs snell some mustad 4011E.(black virginia hooks) in size 4 or 3 using 50lb leader..make the leader 8-11" and make a loop using a double surgeons knot...you can also use gami octopus or VMC octopus hooks in size 3/0 or 4/0....once you have your hooks snelled you tie a loop using a double surgeons knot in your standing line and about 6" up you can tie a dropper loop or just pinch the line and put your snelled hook loop over your pinched line and run the hook thru then snug up..(hard to explain, easy to do)....if you want to get fancy...you can tie small loops using 20-25lb test to put on your standing line loop to put your sinkers thru so if you get snagged you wont loose the whole rig...

In the back slack is best or if you can get in an eddy from the current...

Out front its all good from the wrecks..

Green crabs good baits, fiddlers good baits...

Phil L

·
Registered
276 Posts
Try Green crab with a jig head. I actually use a fast action tip, because they sometimes hit light, a little tap tap could be a fat 6 lber.

But you definately need some backbone to your rod, because they will try to run into rocks pilings any structure available.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts