BASS BARN banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Capt Bob was a very fine, successful, and experienced party boat operator in Sea Isle City until appox.1978. When i was just a young punk helping mate on the Starfish in the hey days of party boat fishing, waving customers into the parking lots at 630 in the am, it was always a contest to see who could get railed first and head out. Bob was always a gentlemen to me and i got to know both of his sons, one a lot better than the other -Eric who really liked my dad. still say hi to him when i see him in town, but still Bob remembered me when he saw these many years later even let me have a scoop of ice when he was in town which was very often the last number of years when i was in town but i wasn't in sic very often last 4-5 years long story.....anyway bob sold the last pb a north carolina gilligin i believe, a great and well timed business move, and got into commerical tile fishing and the rest is history. Bob's sons and family have built a fine and respected commercial fishing business that i know Capt Bob was proud of. , including a vessel bearing his name. Wishing all the family my condolence's, he was a fine man. fair sea's skipper.....

one other quick funny story about bob to celebrate his legacy, bob like most captains was a direct no non sense type of individual, as the story goes as i know it drinking beer and who knows what else after coming at the dock, he went one day to buy a car maybe a lincoln for his wife, sure hope i have this right, bob in his tan shirt and pants probably dirty and blood stained, working clothes with a monofilament or plain string lanyards walks in walk to lincoln dealership with a pocket full of cash and is ready to plunk down money for a lincoln. salesperson takes one look at captain bob and figures no chance this guy has the bucks to afford a lincoln, not knowing he could buy 5 if so choose, guy ignores him , bob steams off po'd, says he will be back to salesmen, drives to next lincoln dealership and so he does, 2hours m later, with a brand new shiny lincoln, whips out a wad of cash that would choke a horse in front of jack jawed salesmen, points to his new shiny lincoln, oh didn't think i could afford a new lincoln huh!!!!!!! he who laughs last...........

·
Registered
439 Posts
Sorry to learn this sad news. Condolences to the entire family. Much respect to Capt. Bob. He was a fixture in the party boat scene for a long time as was that big blue metal hull. I also worked the party boat scene in SIC in the late 70’s bad early 80’s. Never quite got used to the sound of those sinker weights clanking against the metal hull after working on those older wooden boats. Although I never worked for Capt. Bob , I met him many times and also worked that circuit with his sons. I was a only a “half day” guy and the Burcaw guys were hard core serious guys. Had a chance to catch up with Eric last summer and he was generous enough to give me a tour of his current commercial boat. We had a laugh at some of the antics we all pulled enticing people onto different party boats. Good times with some fun and interesting characters. Rest in pease Capt. Burcaw.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
might you have been involved in putting a , "i won't disclose the type", a fish on top of an ice maker near a cranky old pb capt.if so, it was terrific and created a lot of havoc at the dock for awhile.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts