BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Checked out the features on both, but wanted to get some advice from those that have their service.

My range is about 40 miles, run to some deep wrecks and to the sharking grounds, other than that mostly inshore.

Worht getting ?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
234 Posts
I fish out of sandy hook area, mostly inshore for bass then bluefin, but occasionally run as far as hudson canyon. I have used terrafin for 3 plus years and like it. Cost is $99 per year. My only complaint is sometimes they can't get a good sat shot. No sure if some of the other sites have same problem?
I use terrafin mainly to find temp break and u can move cursor for gps coordinates. I also find it quick and easy to see how far to a waypoint.
Not sure if other services offer more but would love to hear others feedback

·
Registered
973 Posts
I use Buoyweather for weather/wave conditions and both Terrafin and RipCharts for temp/chloro and altimetery. I also usually end up buying a Roff's report as well.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Get both

Bouyweather is primarily a weather forecasting service, which in my opinion, often does a better job than NOAA, but not always. I still find it best to try to compile data from multiple sources for go/no go decisions. You can get 2 day forecasts for free or pay about $10 per month for 7 days. Forecasts seem to be updated several times per day.

Rip Charts, Terrafin, Oceantemp and others are primarily sites that provide reports of water temps, currents, chlorophyl, etc. based on Satelite technology. They are reports of current and past conditions, not forecasts for the future. A definite plus for sportfishing, but the sats can't see through the clouds, so sometimes you go a day or days without any "pictures." A service like Rolph's does provide detailed analysis and some predictions, but it costs more than $99 per year.

Bottom line - get both.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I have both

Buoyweather is good for forcasting the weather. Ripcharts I find is better for temperature etc..

If its cloudy you are always going to get a bad shot for temperature. Ripcharts has a great feature where you can still get a reading. Hard to explain typing but check out their tutorial online and they will explain. I would get both it will be well worth the $200 for both. I even have buoy weather as an app on my iphone and can check the latest forcast as I am leaving the inlet.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Am currently using Ripcharts and am not familiar with Bouyweaher...no complaints with Ripcharts like other sites all dependant on clear satallite shots..We fish off-shore a lot and for the cost I am satisfied..I think it was $89/year when I signed up last year..

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Here is the 7 day forcast from Buoyweather for the Hudson Canyon. To me its very well organized and easy and fast to read. I get the same format on my iphone also which is key when I am down at the boat without any internet access. I find its very accurate also which of course if most important. NOAA in my eyes is a discrace.

7 Day Marine Forecast

Model Cycle 2012 FEB 20 12Z Time Zone: GMT - 4 Hours
Tuesday 2/21
Morning
Light and variable winds with smooth seas. Small short period wind waves.
Winds: ENE 4 to 5 knots

Seas: ENE 4 feet at 8 sec.
Afternoon

Breezy whitecapping conditions with moderate choppy seas. Small short period wind waves.
Winds: S 11 to 14 knots

Seas: ENE 3 feet at 8 sec.
Wednesday 2/22

Morning
Very windy with large choppy seas. Small craft advisory. Moderate short period wind waves.
Winds: WSW 21 to 28 knots

Seas: SW 7 feet at 6 sec.
Afternoon

Windy conditions with choppy seas. Small craft advisory. Moderate short period wind waves.
Winds: WSW 18 to 24 knots

Seas: SW 6 feet at 6 sec.
Thursday 2/23​

Morning
Breezy whitecapping conditions with moderate choppy seas. Small short period wind waves.
Winds: WSW 11 to 15 knots

Seas: SSW 6 feet at 6 sec.
Afternoon​

Very windy with large choppy seas. Small craft advisory. Moderate short period wind waves.
Winds: SW 21 to 28 knots</B>
Seas: SSW 6 feet at 6 sec.
Friday 2/24
Morning
Windy conditions with choppy seas. Small craft advisory. Moderate short period wind waves.
Winds: SSW 18 to 25 knots

Seas: SSW 7 feet at 7 sec.
Afternoon

Gale warning with dangerous seas. Small craft advisory. Use extreme caution. Large short period wind waves.
Winds: SSW 31 to 42 knots

Seas: SSW 11 feet at 7 sec.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Like was said previously they are two separate tools to use. Buoyweather is great to narrow down a forecast and another source of information for formulating your own forecast.

I can't comment on ripcharts as I use terrafin. I like their specific charts they have for inshore/midshore for bluefin fishing. This past season chlorophyll charts were especially important to find clean water to fish.

·
Registered
636 Posts
For weather I use both buoyweather and fishweather, and I will use NOAA as well. I look at all three and then decide my plans from there. I actually like fishweather the best I think because you can follow it hour by hour if you like.

For temp I have been using Oceantemp, which has been good, but I may try something new this year.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
terrafin and buoy weather

I have been using terrafin for several years. Like it alot. I like to pinpoint the water temp lines and then print them for starting points. Buoyweather is great. what else can I say.We run offshore the the canyons in a 26'cc,can't be wrong.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I am contemplating doing the reverse - Ripcharts to OSS. Would love some feedback on OSS to see if additional cost is worth it.
I have been using oss and it is better than the others listed. I had ocean temp a few years back and moved to oss and what a differance. much more onfo and worth every penny.. The up front cost is more but the savings on gas and a better chance of being on the fish.. I will take that any day..

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
I found Buoyweather to be more accurate and a lot more Info on all my trip last season, like hourly wind direction/speed and wave height predictions thru out the day, and much more,I also check with other weather site to evaluate my trips a specially running offshore,,,,I used Ripcharts last season Great site,Great Customer service,if needed,, they will walk you thru there site and help with any Info you would need,they also have a tutorial that shows how to maneuver thru the site and how to use it,,well worth the $99,,,

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hi Hattrick, thank you for the consideration.
I would be happy to give you an over the phone tutorial and discuss our service.

That goes for anyone else interested in learning more about the data sets, feel free to call and I will be happy to share what I know and how it will help you save fuel, time and most importantly place you in productive waters.

Regards,
Philip
713-582-1868

·
Registered
453 Posts
I have been using oss and it is better than the others listed. I had ocean temp a few years back and moved to oss and what a differance. much more onfo and worth every penny.. The up front cost is more but the savings on gas and a better chance of being on the fish.. I will take that any day..
What does OSS stand for ...w?ebsite ?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.