BASS BARN banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We fished the Infamous Cape May Rips aboard the Free Spirit with Captain Steve Bent yesterday. Along side of Captain Steve was his friend Captain Bob?(boy these two can bust stones with the best of them)

Weather was dead on with NNW Winds at 25-30 knots?made the whole sea look like a giant 6-8 foot rip?but that Calvin Beal Hull really ate her up?

We arrived with about 1.5 hours left on the incoming tide and managed 4 nice fish. Capt Bob nailed a slot fish on a buck tail and PopPop boated her?I was next with a 37? fish?

?then Jake boated a 40? fish (woof! like a chunking fish) and then another slot came aboard boated by Jake again (I think)

Walt had a dogfish and missed a real nice fish?line popped?

The tide went slack and so did the fishing?then it turned and an we managed 3 more fish?before the mud moved in.

Walt boated two of the three: 36? and a 28? and Captain Steve boated a slot fish as well on a buck tail.

?but this day was about the wind?Honking all day and COLD?the 45 degree air temps made it difficult to stay in the cockpit?but the pilot house was heated, so after a short drift, we?d hop back into the heat and get warm before the next drift.

High hook for the day was Jake @ 67? total inches then Walt @ 64? total inches then me @ 37? then PopPop @ 28"...

---------------------------

Take a look at Jake (orange) his gear is blown up like a balloon!

Here's PopPop nailing a bucktail! :D ...but look at the wave beyond...Walt stands at 6'4"...woof...the seas were big.

Here's Walt and Captn Bob with a slot fish...nice fish...get wet????

...and here is 5/7 of the catch...two of the fish were butchered before we got over to the cutting table with the camera! (one of the fish was 1/2 filleted...can you tell which one???)

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Actually, with Fazmataz's reputation for bringing the wind whenever they went offshore, I should have expected the "Breeze". Jeff, it was great fun fishing with you and your family- and even Jake!

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Originally posted by Capt Steve:
Actually, with Fazmataz's reputation for bringing the wind whenever they went offshore, I should have expected the "Breeze". Jeff, it was great fun fishing with you and your family- and even Jake!
I was really in doubt that we would be going when I saw thew forecast, Steve, but sure enough it was windy and cold, but not uncomfortable...

I was thoroughly impressed with the way that the Free Spirit drifted beam to the sea...no hard snapping...just a gradual up and down...

I just got done eating some of the stripers...I cut 1.5" wide x 6-8" long strips...double breaded them...and dipped them into Honey Mustard...OUTSTANDING!

Hope to fish again with you soon :D :D :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts