BASS BARN banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone has been catching bass in the rips? All the reports are in the bay, the regular spots,just curious about the old rips, maybe they are moving out with the warm water?

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Originally posted by capemaychef:
I was wondering if anyone has been catching bass in the rips? All the reports are in the bay, the regular spots,just curious about the old rips, maybe they are moving out with the warm water?
I would take a walk over to your neighbors Skip Adam and Badfinger. If there are fish in the Rips they will know it. :D

I would say if they are there they are passing through this time of year and live spot or eels or herring are your best bet in there.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Fished the rips today with spot and herring! Not even a bump. We worked all over the place and couldnt even buy a hit. There was a ton of dolphins in there..that could make a difference. The one good thing about the day was breaking in my brothers new 34 Sea Vee....two words....Holy Chit! That thing is a beast.

·
Registered
7,977 Posts
We will let you know after this weekend. We plan to be out there with live spot and last weekend we know of a good bite in the day time (Spot)and on Sunday my friend had a 43 lb fish around Prissy Wick drifting clam. The bluefish ate their live spot so they used some surf clams as bait. They had only brought a few live ones with them.
In past bite was almost all night time as the fish go into a more nocturnal mode with the warmer water temperatures. Out favorte location is not the big rip but over and out toward middle shoal and we used to do very well at night with just eels but the doggies have been thick there the last few years with any type of live bait. Will be working both the areas this weekend and see if that 50 lb fish is waiting for us but only at night or before day break. Hard running tide is the secret. New and full moon is the best.
Capt John

·
Registered
7,977 Posts
I might add: A ton of dolphins is a good thing because the big stripers are feeding on spike weakfish and where we like to fish the bait needs to be there for the stripers to stop and feed before departing to go north. Every one we have caught had weakfish in their stomachs over the years. The baby weakies also attract doggies and the bigger sharks with teeth at night also. Great dates should be around the full moon at night June 9,10,11,12,13 and then it will be about over. Should be good this weekend also with new moon tides.

·
Registered
7,237 Posts
Fished the rip's 2 day's ago, eel's and bucks.....zero. :(

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.