Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi-
As you may have heard, the fate of our entire River Herring population is in peril.
Our important gamefish rely on these fish to keep strong and healthy.
While the agencies and government wrestle with the red tape, it is up to us to do whatever we can to preserve the remaining stock.
We are currently building a list of concerned anglers and helpers that would be willing to assist in our 2010 River Herring rescue lifts around the state of NJ. If you can help and are willing to volunteer your time please email me at [email protected]
Be sure to include your full name, phone number, and the location of the waterway near you that you can assist with.
For more info, please read my latest blog at this link:
http://www.shore11.org/node/8303

Thanks!
Paul

·
Registered
294 Posts
Could you be a little more specific , and add some details

·
Registered
294 Posts
Sorry I didnt see the link before I posted :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
You have a great idea, but...

I read your blog and you put your finger on the problem. The Pair trawlers and by catch. This 10 fish per day recreational limit or complete moriturium won't change anything unless the by catch stops. Every river on the east coast was dammed for industry soon after the Pilgrims settled and these fish have been captured at the river heads for food and fertilizer at the very highest rate possible and they managed to thrive until we had enough horsepower to actually sweep the sea.

Use your energy to put the blame where it really belongs. Don't worry about carrying some fish up a hill in a bucket.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
I read your blog and you put your finger on the problem. The Pair trawlers and by catch. This 10 fish per day recreational limit or complete moriturium won't change anything unless the by catch stops. Every river on the east coast was dammed for industry soon after the Pilgrims settled and these fish have been captured at the river heads for food and fertilizer at the very highest rate possible and they managed to thrive until we had enough horsepower to actually sweep the sea.

Use your energy to put the blame where it really belongs. Don't worry about carrying some fish up a hill in a bucket.
very well said dave:thumbsup:. this also holds true to the striped bass. i see people ***** all the time about a few big bass being kept to eat, but rarly do i here the very same people talk about the boats down south that "net" thousands of bass a day. but if i keep one bass over 35" here i'm looked down on as a killer:nuts:. funny ****!!!~matt

·
Registered
76 Posts
Tuckerton Seaport

For those who want to start lifting fish talk to the people at the Tuckerton Seaport. The DOT is going to build a new spillway in Tuckerton that will empty into the Seaport and it will be built with a fish ladder. The sooner fish get lifted over into the lake the sooner a run thru the new ladder will be accomplished. The herring need about three to four years of stocking above the ladder to insure that the run will eventually return to the lake above the ladder, because it takes the fry that long to return. So if you are interested roll up your sleeves and get to work, remember actions speak louder that words!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
954 Posts
Why don't you take your PEW BS elsewhere. :mad:

Nice quote from your site:

The site is sponsored by Environmental Defense Fund and the Coastal Ocean Coalition, including: Bayshore Regional Watershed Council, Environmental Defense Fund, Surfrider Foundation, NJ Sierra Club, NJ Audubon Society, Environment NJ, NJ Public Employees for Environmental Responsibility, and NJ Environmental Lobby

http://www.endoverfishing.org/newsroom/release_21july2009.html

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Its never a problem. White marlin at the reefs is long history to you.:thumbsdown:

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi-

The river herring need help all over the mid atlantic, if you could pick a body of water close to you, get some friends together and reach out to me I would appreciate it.
Please email me directly at [email protected] for more info.
Thanks
Paul

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Why don't you take your PEW BS elsewhere. :mad:

Nice quote from your site:

The site is sponsored by Environmental Defense Fund and the Coastal Ocean Coalition, including: Bayshore Regional Watershed Council, Environmental Defense Fund, Surfrider Foundation, NJ Sierra Club, NJ Audubon Society, Environment NJ, NJ Public Employees for Environmental Responsibility, and NJ Environmental Lobby

http://www.endoverfishing.org/newsroom/release_21july2009.html
Mr. Fillet-
This mission will help the resource and ultimately help YOU to put more gamefish in your boat. You are a fisherman, right? I could really use as much help here as possible.
Thanks,
Paul

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Hi Dave-
yes, that work out at sea is the major issue here, but that is a giant dragon to slay and while that is being dealt with we truly need to put our local energy to help save what is left.They have been doing this in Massachusetts and have seen great success over the past couple of years.
Just so you know, a large part of my mission here is raise awareness so there is more pressure from the public to change the rules on pai trawling. Also, on a local level, to collect much needed data for the state fisheries biologists.
Now is the time for all of us fisherman to pitch in and help.
Thanks
Paul

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
For those who want to start lifting fish talk to the people at the Tuckerton Seaport. The DOT is going to build a new spillway in Tuckerton that will empty into the Seaport and it will be built with a fish ladder. The sooner fish get lifted over into the lake the sooner a run thru the new ladder will be accomplished. The herring need about three to four years of stocking above the ladder to insure that the run will eventually return to the lake above the ladder, because it takes the fry that long to return. So if you are interested roll up your sleeves and get to work, remember actions speak louder that words!:thumbsup:
Now thats exactly what I am talking about!
Thank you for a great post.
If you and your buds can help please reach out to me. I need some teams in south jersey for sure.
Cheers,
Paul

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Something Smells Fishy

paulyfish, you said us fisherman, are you a fisherman? And where do you fish? I've never seen you post or reply to a post? So I question who & what your motives are!!! I'm waiting for your response. Or is this another way to screw us FISHERMAN with your PEW crap. What you want to do is get fisherman to work for the PEW foundation. So now you want to close the herring fishing in the rivers & this is going to save the Herring? Is that right, BS. The Herring have to be saved like Dave said "out in the oceans". So when you have a plan that makes sense, post up again, then I'll entertain the Idea. Haig

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
River Herring need you NOW

paulyfish, you said us fisherman, are you a fisherman? And where do you fish? I've never seen you post or reply to a post? So I question who & what your motives are!!! I'm waiting for your response. Or is this another way to screw us FISHERMAN with your PEW crap. What you want to do is get fisherman to work for the PEW foundation. So now you want to close the herring fishing in the rivers & this is going to save the Herring? Is that right, BS. The Herring have to be saved like Dave said "out in the oceans". So when you have a plan that makes sense, post up again, then I'll entertain the Idea. Haig
General-
First off, I forgive you for taking the above stance against me without knowing me. Please don't judge my angling ability and intentions by a lack of posts on the Barn website.
FYI-I am a Light tackle fishing guide in the Central NJ/Sandy Hook area, so yes, I was born into fishing, and have always and god willing, will always be a fisherman.
This is not a PEW thing and not sure why you would bring that up in the first place. There is NO conspiracy here. I am just a guy that refuses to sit around, ***** and complain and do nothing while an entire forage species is wiped out, a critical part of the aquatic food web collapses, and then wonder what happened to all of our stripers, weakfish, etc.

I am doing this on my own, with my own money and time and looking to start a program that will support this concept until the herring runs return and we are bailing big fat bass over the rails until our arms hurt.
Now back to the topic at hand. Understand that this is a multi pronged mission and there isnt much that we can do as anglers here on land except write letters and show up at fishery council meetings and beg for more attention to be paid to our forage fish.
If you do just a little bit of research, you will find out what I did and gain some further understanding about just how serious this situation is.
Every single herring counts. If every angler that frequents these boards would take a couple of trips this spring, and gently catch/release some herring above the dams & stream impediments and help the herring to get where they need to spawn, it would make a difference.
I am looking for a few sincere volunteers that are willing, like I am, to stop talking & typing, roll my sleeves up and carry some buckets up a hill and help our fish.
Please reach out to me. Its a big state and an even bigger problem.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
I noticed some of the people on your blog page and the sponsorship by EDF and have been keeping an eye on this thread. If it were a true grass roots effort I would definetaly want to pitch in, but, if you really wanted this to be about the fisherman lending their hand you should have avoided publicing your efforts through "them".

I do not want to pitch in on effort that is supported by/funded by/organized by/anything by the environmental groups. Sadly, the last thing that I think would happen is that they realize that fisherman actually care.

I am all for helping out any fish that is in trouble as long as it doesnt mean getting into bed with those people UNLESS they would finally start to acknowledge that, contrary to popular belief, fisherman are not barbarians who wish to rape the sea of every last fish and that we do care about the conservation of every last fish and bird - we just do not feel the need to shut people out in order to do so.

P.S Here is another interesting blog Paul posted on their site: http://www.shore11.org/node/8230. Be careful following his link, some of the bloggers on the site can really get your blood starting to boil after a few minutes.

RyanF

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Wolf In Sheeps Clothing

General-
First off, I forgive you for taking the above stance against me without knowing me. Please don't judge my angling ability and intentions by a lack of posts on the Barn website.
FYI-I am a Light tackle fishing guide in the Central NJ/Sandy Hook area, so yes, I was born into fishing, and have always and god willing, will always be a fisherman.
This is not a PEW thing and not sure why you would bring that up in the first place. There is NO conspiracy here. I am just a guy that refuses to sit around, ***** and complain and do nothing while an entire forage species is wiped out, a critical part of the aquatic food web collapses, and then wonder what happened to all of our stripers, weakfish, etc.

I am doing this on my own, with my own money and time and looking to start a program that will support this concept until the herring runs return and we are bailing big fat bass over the rails until our arms hurt.
Now back to the topic at hand. Understand that this is a multi pronged mission and there isnt much that we can do as anglers here on land except write letters and show up at fishery council meetings and beg for more attention to be paid to our forage fish.
If you do just a little bit of research, you will find out what I did and gain some further understanding about just how serious this situation is.
Every single herring counts. If every angler that frequents these boards would take a couple of trips this spring, and gently catch/release some herring above the dams & stream impediments and help the herring to get where they need to spawn, it would make a difference.
I am looking for a few sincere volunteers that are willing, like I am, to stop talking & typing, roll my sleeves up and carry some buckets up a hill and help our fish.
Please reach out to me. Its a big state and an even bigger problem.
I DON'T NEED YOU TO FORGIVE ME!! I see you didn't defend yourself about who sponsers you, now, who is that again? Oh, yeh ...... I won't even say there name, so as not to give them any recognition. As far as me questioning your fishing ability, I didn't, please read carefully. I did question your motives & who really pulls your strings? Mybe you should read the words you wrote on your blog. Someone who puts down the RFA, in my book doesn't know what this is about or is a puppet of the Tree huggers.You have no credibility with me. So go peddle you BS somewhere else. Haig-CA

·
Registered
946 Posts
your dead on bud.. will you be selling again this year?

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.