BASS BARN banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just read where NJ has closed the river herring fisheries to all fishing due to lack of funds & personnel to collect data about the viability of the fishery. Any herring caught has to be released even if caught in federal waters off the jersey coast. River herring cannot be sold as bait in jersy. What's next ?:mad:

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
I hate to say it but its a good thing as herring fishing the last few years has really gone down hill.Besides clams are readily available and they're a lot easier to keep alive.Although I agree that thats a lame reason for them to close the fishery.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
If anyone didn't see that coming then they were blind. Its a shame, using herring for bait was a long time tradition for many a fisherman. I know with myself it will greatly kill my confidence in early spring fishing in the Maurice River. Figures, I planned on fishing the Del River this coming spring for some catch and release, I just don't know if I have the confidence to make that long trip without the use of fresh herring. I watched the decline in that fishery every year getting worse and worse. I have a lot of great personal memory's of using that bait with my son, nephews, and friends. I hope someday they might be able to recover. I do agree with bay invader, clams are a good substitution, but still not close to the real thing.
I caught this one last spring using herring off the bank of the Maurice River.

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
we watched the numbers drop to nill in mayslanding at popular spot. it couldnt b the guys with the tanks in back of truck with a few hundred at a time leaving n coming back at night could it? i saw 2 fish caught in 4 or 5 times i was there this past spring

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
New Jersey has banned the catch and sale of river herring, due in part to lack of personnel and funding to collect appropriate data, the Press of Atlantic City reports.

The State Department of Environmental Protection shut down the fishery, which is often used by fisherman in the bait business, Thursday, according to the report. The state failed to meet a deadline from the Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission to prove the fishery was sustainable. According to the article, the fishery may be sustainable, but there is not enough staff or funding to prove it.

The herring can no longer caught with a net for bait, and recreational fishermen cannot target them, the article says. If a herring is caught, it must be thrown back.

According to the report, offshore commercial fishermen who accidentally catch herring cannot sell them in New Jersey.

The paper also reported 3 million pounds of herring a year are accidentally caught in trawl nets. This might be the result of foreign trawlers years ago netting herring. By the way, the NJ shad fishery will be closed next.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts