BASS BARN banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a sand spike that I can get into rocky riverbank silt. I experimented with a few of the normal run of the mill spikes last year but they didn't work as well as I would have liked, I really had to search for ideal soft ground to put them in. Anybody have any ideas or sugestions??? I'm thinking I need something long, sharp & thin but strong too.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I know what you mean about the rocky or "silty" river banks.
You're right about "thin"
Check out James Tackle - Barn sponsor on the home page.
Go to surf fishing - then to accessories
There's a variety of aluminum spikes that have a thin base with kick in posts.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I have one cheap plastic rod holder hose clamped to a lenght of rebar for those river areas. Have a tight "J" on the top that lets me push it in w/ my foot. Gets down in the gravel and stone.

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the sugestions guys. Unfortunatley I have plenty of time to come up with something.

GO BIRDS

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
You might want to consider the British solution; a tripod. It just rests on the beach on adjustable legs and has rod holders. Some have holders for up to four rods. Here is a typical one.

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Interesting, that may work. There's really no need for the rod to be standing straight upright as there are'n any waves in the river. I can also jus pick it up & move it back as the tide's coming in. Seargent Slough, do you know of any places that sell them?

·
Registered
130 Posts
If you take a bucket with you, you're pretty much all set.
Get 2 U-bolts that are big enough that the pole will fit in it. Drill 4 holes in the bucket at the top. 2 holes on each side for the u-bolts. Put the u-bolt on the outside of the bucket, the nut on the inside. tighten them. Take the bucket with you. Fill it with rocks or water.
Also, make sure the bolts are far enough away from the "middle" of the bucket so it's easier to carry.
I never had a problem with it tipping over when a fish was on.

·
Banned
2,143 Posts
i also used to use a bucket like eddy described but i put in all my gear instead of having to carry everything.i would put in the bucket food,drinks,tackle,weights,bait and clothing. it had plenty of weight to hold down nice. also you donot have to wash it out whrn finished just put it in the car for the next time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts