BASS BARN banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about hitting a S. Jersey river this weekend for some recon and perch fishing. Thinking the Tuckahoe is my likely choice but can be flexible. Anybody interested? And before you ask, yes I do have a dry suit! :)

If it's windy I won't go. I'm seeing expected temps in the low 50's, so this is a trip just to break the winter blues - and maybe if lucky catch a few fish. Also, I am no expert on the Tuckahoe so if you are looking for that I'm not the guy - just full disclosure here! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
My only concern

With fishing a river right now is the currents are probably RIPPING because of the snow melt/runoff. I would like to fish the tuckahoe myself but do not know any spots. I may fish audrey or SVP this weekend.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
With fishing a river right now is the currents are probably RIPPING because of the snow melt/runoff. I would like to fish the tuckahoe myself but do not know any spots. I may fish audrey or SVP this weekend.
That's an interesting comment/point. I'm not so sure that melting snow will really effect current. I would think water levels yes, but not sure about current. Be interested in others opinion here. This is a bit uncharted (for me anyway) as we haven't seen such levels of snow. One good thing about this weekend is it's a mid moon phase, so that is a positive regarding current flow.

I'm just iching to get out. Believe me if currents are ripping too bad I won't be venturing too far from launch point. I will also have a handle on tide phase, to determine which way to head so I'm not fighting current on departure and return if at all possible.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
With the snow melt the water runs off into the lakes and streams. Union lake will fill up to the point where they open the extra gates and the water comes screaming down the river. The water that ends up in the \river systems only has one place to go.... downstream.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Union lake will fill up to the point where they open the extra gates and the water comes screaming down the river.
Now that I agree with - that will certainly effect the Maurice River. However, not sure that other rivers like the Tuckahoe have similar influences such as this? What do the guys that know the Tuckahoe (in addition to sandwashslugger) think about current strength this weekend? Again it's a mid moon phase.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Andy, you'll be fine in the Tuck with that moon phase! I would think that when volume is higher, at some points in the tide, it will be ripping more than usual! But, it will slack longer too IMHO! And by slack, I don't mean 3 hours after high!:D By this weekend you won't notice too much! Debris is gonna be a factor due to higher than normal tides, and thawed out marsh! Wish I could join you, but can't make it! I'd try and talk you into the Manumuskin if I could! Where you launchin?

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
And by slack, I don't mean 3 hours after high!
JohnG, now that's funny chit! :D That conversation kinda made my head hurt!

If I put in on the Tuckahoe it will be by the ramp in the Wildlife Mgt Center area. I'm still pondering some other areas too, maybe targeting the striped ones! If your plans change and you free up (or if anyone else is interested) get in touch.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
sandswashslugger - I am heading down tomorrow - but changing up the plans from a week ago and am going to fish for old linesides. Still not sure which river I will hit - have a few options but I'll be out there. I'll shoot you a note with my cell if you want to reach me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.