BASS BARN banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm heading to Riviera Maya in a few weeks and I want to fish with a captain that runs a good shop. Please respond if you can recommend anyone. Thank you

I'm thinking sailfish but I don't really care as long as the rods are bending and the gear is not dog shiv

·
Registered
297 Posts
I don't know anyone in particular to recommend, but there is a good sized marina in Puerto Aventuras. There are many charter boats there. I fished on two of them in the past and had a good time and caught a variety of fish, mahi, marlin, barracuda. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
tornado when are you heading down? my dad is going in march. any insight would be great as well. a few searches yielded an operation called ricks sportfishing. very hit and miss with reviews, with nothing outstanding.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
I was there last February and chartered capt ricks. I was not impressed at all. The hooks were all rusted and the equipment was not maintained. I don't even think their electronics worked. We didn't catch a thing on a 4 hour trip. You literally start fishing right out of the inlet. The capt didn't speak english so the mate (who barely spoke english) had to translate any requests we had. I would look around for a more reputable charter.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Love that area.

Look up Wasabi Loco in Puerto Aventuras on the internet and Facebook.
Never fished with him since he got established down there after I visited.
Supposedly got a monster mahi-mahi recently.

You might also want to check out Isla Mujeres for sailfishing as well.

If you want to talk, PM me, [email protected]

·
Registered
45 Posts
Tornado when are you going? I'll be down the 21st-27th and will also be looking to get out. I was told Cpt. Ricks and also I believe Tequila Sunrise.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
26 Posts
Sailfish

Just came home from Isla for a few days. The fishing has been great with 45 caught sails being our best day last week. You best chance is to fish out of Isla, the fish are 30 miles up around big bait balls. Anthony on the Keen M is a GREAT choice, you can also ck with JR on the Obessionto see if he has any open days. Most of the NC boys are already book up and we are heading home on 2/18 to get ready for the Bluefins.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts