1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
New Rods

Paul,
I'm going Saturday w/ the family.
You made sets of white marlin rods, standup tuna rods/ teaser rods for me, a set for Mike & Steve also.
We fish on the Runaway.

I'm looking for a couple light weight rods for wife & son. I'm sure they would love all this fancy ******.
bass/ flounder. I wanted them to pick out the design as they will be using.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Its disappointing that there have been no local rod builders having booths at the show to display their work. Boomerang and Connley Rods, both from Florida, appear to be the only custom rod builders at the show (based on latest vendor list on the shows website).

There may be some great rod builders in South Jersey (Cape May, etc) that I never get the chance to see their work or visit their shops given the 80-100 mile distance from me.

I realize there is cost involved, but these Florida builders must be recognizing sales or they would not be coming year after year :huh:

·
Registered
8,256 Posts
Paul,
I'm going Saturday w/ the family.
You made sets of white marlin rods, standup tuna rods/ teaser rods for me, a set for Mike & Steve also.
We fish on the Runaway.

I'm looking for a couple light weight rods for wife & son. I'm sure they would love all this fancy ******.
bass/ flounder. I wanted them to pick out the design as they will be using.
the shop open,give a call, stop by. we are local, and its really worth the ride. we are only 15 minutes from the WW or barry bridge, and only a few miles from the blueroute.exit3

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
Its disappointing that there have been no local rod builders having booths at the show to display their work. Boomerang and Connley Rods, both from Florida, appear to be the only custom rod builders at the show (based on latest vendor list on the shows website).

There may be some great rod builders in South Jersey (Cape May, etc) that I never get the chance to see their work or visit their shops given the 80-100 mile distance from me.

I realize there is cost involved, but these Florida builders must be recognizing sales or they would not be coming year after year :huh:

A "true" rod builder is going to lose money with the cost of these shows. If a guy is actually building a custom rod for you, he is spending alot of time to do so. The cost of these booths are just too much. He is spending money in hopes that you decide to leave him money so he can build your rod AFTER the show.
If a so called "rod builder" is farming work out and is not spending his own time to build your rod, well he has more options, because he is not spending hours to build your rod. . A custom rod is not purchased off a rack. Its made for you. A handcrafted rod, is purchased off the rack.
We sent some popping and jigging rods up to the show with Canyon Reels, but I would not call them "custom rods". They are handcrafted. If you want a custom rod, stop in to see us and plan on spending at least an hour to 2 hours getting fit to the rod. :thumbsup: Theres more than most people realize to having one built. So, if I did the show and spent 2hrs fitting you to a rod, I would not have enough time to cover the expenses. I think that's why we all hide. lol.

·
Registered
8,256 Posts
Yep, tommy is right.

i just spent time with a client,and I will take as long as he needed,

we bent The JM 3 kings, Phenix. BUSHIDO, black hole,seekers.
looked at different grips and seats,

there was alot of dissission about grip length, types, reelseats.
colors, length,

it is a process for a custom, a long process we take the time needed to go over all the details.

still have not decided,,he will be back and we will be putting a Jiggingmaster reel on the blank.
then we can get grip lengths,

yes it does take time..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.