BASS BARN banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I think it would be a good idea to have a rod building section to this web-site, but that's probably not going to happen. Just wanted to see who out there builds their own.
I just finished (Wednesday) a 4 wt that i caught my biggest trout on today. :) Not too pleased with the rod though... It was actually my first build and i stripped it and re-built it because I didn't like the way it turned out my first time. It was a cheapo rod- probably cost around 75.00 total. Not enough backbone. Did the job today though.
I have built a 2, 4, 7, 8 wt as well as a couple of salt spinning rods.
My next project is in the mail- G Loomis 3 pc. 9 ft, 5 wt IMX blank with single foot reciol guides and a beautiful nickle light wood reel seat. I am really excited for this build. Next is a 9 wt fast action- not sure what blank, but any recommendations for a fairly inexpensive (under 200.00) blank are appreciated.
I would love to hook up with people who build to pass along any tips, etc. as well as learn.
Thanks, and tight lines.
Brent

·
Registered
648 Posts
im almost finished my first spinning rod, which is a batson swb76l...its going well so far, i need to learn how to wrap a fly rod

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
good luck with the own fourm i have ask if a plug one can be made and it was not in the plans....:D

·
Registered
6,419 Posts
I'd love to learn, but the only classes that I've been able to find are on weekends or too far away. I'd love to find classes that are two nights per week in the southwestern part of NJ or Philly.

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
RhinoScores said:
I'd love to learn, but the only classes that I've been able to find are on weekends or too far away. I'd love to find classes that are two nights per week in the southwestern part of NJ or Philly.
You don't need to take classes, to learn, Rhino. Just get Tom Kirkman's book, and get started. A lot of guys badmouth kits, but I think that for a first-time rodbuilder, a kit can be a good way to get your feet wet. They're relatively cheap, and you know that you're going to have everything you need to finish the job.

Here's what's on my bench right now, waiting to be finished:

- A surf plugging rod (spinning), built on a Rainshadow SU1087 (mostly completed; I just need to wrap the guides)
- A 10-weight fly rod, built on a Batson RX8+ four-piece blank (handle and reel seat completed, tip top installed, need to test cast and wrap the guides)
- An 8-weight fly rod (another four-piece Batson RX8+). Blank only. Haven't started this one at all, but can't wait to do so.

In addition, I'll be building (in time for the spring run, I hope), a conventional surf plugging rod. I'll be building it as a spiral. I'll be matching an Abu Garcia 6500 C3, and I have everything I need but the blank. I'll be picking that up in a few weeks.

I cannot recommend strongly enough that all dedicated surf rats learn to build their own rods. For about what you spend for a mid-line factory rod (say $150 or so), you can build a rod that blows away any factory rod, even the ones that cost $300 or more. And it's not that hard: all you need is some common sense, some patience, and willingness to take your time and do the job right. Once you build your first rod, you'll probably learn that most of what you've been using to fish the suds is pretty lousy equipment.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I agree with belmo. No need to even buy a book, although it might help. The internet has all of the info you need. buy a kit from mudhole and give it a shot. I would be more than happy to help with any questions or problems.

basspirate- wraps for the fly rod are basically the same, but the rod takes longer with all of the guides you use. Not difficult, but time consuming. type in rod building in google and search different forums. all the info you need.
BTW the guys at mudhole are really good at setting you up if you have no idea what you are doing. they don't try to rip you off either.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts