BASS BARN banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Accidentally posted this in another forum...
Hey guys. I think it would be a good idea to have a rod building section to this web-site, but that's probably not going to happen. Just wanted to see who out there builds their own.
I just finished (Wednesday) a 4 wt that i caught my biggest trout on today. :) Not too pleased with the rod though... It was actually my first build and i stripped it and re-built it because I didn't like the way it turned out my first time. It was a cheapo rod- probably cost around 75.00 total. Not enough backbone. Did the job today though.
I have built a 2, 4, 7, 8 wt as well as a couple of salt spinning rods.
My next project is in the mail- G Loomis 3 pc. 9 ft, 5 wt IMX blank with single foot reciol guides and a beautiful nickle light wood reel seat. I am really excited for this build. Next is a 9 wt fast action- not sure what blank, but any recommendations for a fairly inexpensive (under 200.00) blank are appreciated.
I would love to hook up with people who build to pass along any tips, etc. as well as learn.
Thanks, and tight lines.
Brent

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
hey Brent I will bring the 4# weight I built when we get together I was happy the way that it turned out for my first one. Was thinking of building a 9 weight net but never really got it going yet.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I spoke with a guy at anglershabitat who sells both the sage and the loomis. he recommended the imx over the vt2. said it was lighter and had better action. that's why i went with the loomis for the 5wt... might be different for the 9 wts though. I'll bring the one's i made up when we get together. trade ideas...

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I appreciate it KHP, but I already have an 8 wt. Looking to build a 9 so i can sell my Orvis 9 wt. I appreciate the thought.
Good luck with it.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I've been building rods for close 25 years now, mainly for myself and a few friends. Started off building trolling rods, went on a binge two years ago and built 5 fly rods, last was a 9' 6" 8 wgt built on a St. Croix blank. Next project is to strip the single foot guides off a broken fly rod and replace the snake guides on a 4 piece 8 wgt I bought from Cabela's when I needed a travel rod in a hurry.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts