BASS BARN banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished my first rod (GL2 7'6" Medium Heavy plugging rod) a couple of weeks ago. I liked it so much I bought myself a 2 peice 7' heavy plugging travel blank for my second rod. Like an idiot, I did not wrap the female end of the rod before I rolled it to figure out where the spine was(?????), and wound up with a crack in the fiberglass, which is about an inch long where the female and male ferrrules meet(on the female side). I wrapped the female end with the crack in it, from the base up about 1 1/2 inches, covering the whole crack. Before I epoxy the rod, is it even worth keeping? I don't want to have a big fish on and have the rod break on me. I am pretty sure I know the answer, but just wanted some feedback before I trash the rod. Can I still use a rod that has a crack in it(even though I will it will not be visable under the wrap)? Thanks in advance!!!

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
FF,
The crack in the blank jepordizes the integrity of it therfore the answer you expected is the answer I would give.

As a pointer and some info the splining of the female section probably had alot less to do with the crack then what you think. The crack probably came from not having the furrel wrapped before applying pressure. You should always wrap the female ferrul section of a rod it helps the problem you encountered from happening.

Also you may want to contact the manufacturer of the blank since most blanks come with some sort of warranty this may be covered and they will send you another female section of the blank for just shipping costs in most cases.

Hope this helped some if you have any questions feel free to email me

·
Registered
19,485 Posts
I agree with pahanatic12 about checking with the
manufacturer on any kind of guarantee.

There is a way to repair but do you realy want to start out with a defect and fish it for years.

If it's a quality blank I believe the company will stand behind you with a new blank.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. I got the blank from Cabella's, and I'm pretty sure they will take it back and replace it with another. If not, I'll contact St. Croix directly.
Fishin~ I actually didn't realize that I had to wrap it before I rolled it. After I heard it crack, I figured that out. I guess that's just part of learning...
Thanks again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts