BASS BARN banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Daiwa Triforce 6'6" medium action baitcasting rod and a Quantum reel. For some reason I have not been casting good at all since i got it. But there is no problem with the reel. That works fine. It seems as though my trouble is with the rod. I feel like the rod is too heavy for the kind of fishing i like (light-medium light). I also think that the rod tip is just too thick. It is very thick compared top the rods i have ever used. It has given me trouble loading the rod, therefore i am not casting far. At first i thought it was the fact that i hadnt practiced with it but i have now ben using it for 5+ months and am not making too much progress.

My question is will switching to a meium light or light action rod make a difference? I was looking at an Ugly Stik but wasnt sure about how good of quality they are. Any suggestions on a good not so expensive baitcasting rod would be appreciated.

Thanks in advanced.

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
i have a quantum energy on a medium heavy baitcast rod and it is THICK. at 1st i thought i was going to have to get a lighter rod but with a lot of practice and help from some of the guys on this site i can now throw the thing really far. so if you are more comfortable with a lighter rod than id get one but you can probably learn to use the heavier one. heavier line and heavier lures helped me out in the begining.

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Here are my suggestions.

You're probably better off buying a new rod, something with a different action that you're more accustomed to. However, this is my situation & maybe you could try this before buying a new one. I have a 6'10'' Team Diawa Series baitcaster for crankbaits/spinnerbaits. It's a pretty thick rod. I have a Pflueger Patriarch baitcaster on it. Because of it being such a heavier rod than you're used to, I'm thinking you might be used to "whipping" the bait w/ the tip of the rod to get more out of your cast. Try to follow through with your cast and rely more on the bait & entire motion of your cast. I kind of had to do re-invent my cast, so to speak, when I started fishing baitcasters and with some time, I'm comfortable with it. If that doesn't work, get something your more comfortable with.

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
Tapout42 said:
I have a Daiwa Triforce 6'6" medium action baitcasting rod and a Quantum reel. For some reason I have not been casting good at all since i got it. But there is no problem with the reel. That works fine. It seems as though my trouble is with the rod. I feel like the rod is too heavy for the kind of fishing i like (light-medium light). I also think that the rod tip is just too thick. It is very thick compared top the rods i have ever used. It has given me trouble loading the rod, therefore i am not casting far. At first i thought it was the fact that i hadnt practiced with it but i have now ben using it for 5+ months and am not making too much progress.

My question is will switching to a meium light or light action rod make a difference? I was looking at an Ugly Stik but wasnt sure about how good of quality they are. Any suggestions on a good not so expensive baitcasting rod would be appreciated.

Thanks in advanced.
Will absolutely make a difference! Either use a more flexible rod or increase the lure weights. The rod must load up to get the most distance out of your casts!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Tapout42 said:

Thanks in advanced.

I have a ugly stick and it is very nice, Not to expencive. I would consider one.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Tapout

I agree with the above post from BassAssassin. I was thinking the same thing, I need a more flexible rod. Then I will have another spare rod, which leads to another reel, and a couple hundred bucks later....I am already hiding what I buy from my wife.

You need to re invent your cast.

Here are my thoughts;
With a spinning rod, it is more like a flick of the wrist - like a frisbie throw. Especially with light lures.
With a BC it is more like throwing a baseball with a windup

I Had the same problem, I have a Revo SX on a Shimano Convergence.

I just recently put a spinnerbait on it, and I can cast it pretty far, but accuracy is suspect. But the heavier wait bait helps.

I have went 2/3 of a spool of 12lb test, with birdnests but am imroving.
BTW - I have not caught anything with the rod/reel yet.

Im no expert, and stay with it. Good Luck

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Are you new to baitcasters? Make sure the spool tension is set properly.
With each lure you should readjust the tension on the spool by loosening the small knob on the left of the reel. Properly set, and holding the rod at 10:00 in front of you, in freespool, when you take your thumb off the spool the lure should drop freely to the ground and when the lure hits the ground the spool should stop revolving. If you need to give the rod a shake to get the lure to drop you are tooo tight, if the spool overruns and starts to birdsnest after the lure hits the ground you are too loose. If you have this set right and you are still not getting the distance you want you are throwing lures too light for the rod or the action of the rod may be too fast for your regular style of casting. If the action is too fast for you your lures will hit the water hard and fast and pretty much directly in front of you with no distance. To correct this you need to work on your timing.

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
bassvamp said:
With each lure you should readjust the tension on the spool by loosening the small knob on the left of the reel. Properly set, and holding the rod at 10:00 in front of you, in freespool, when you take your thumb off the spool the lure should drop freely to the ground and when the lure hits the ground the spool should stop revolving. If you need to give the rod a shake to get the lure to drop you are tooo tight, if the spool overruns and starts to birdsnest after the lure hits the ground you are too loose. If you have this set right and you are still not getting the distance you want you are throwing lures too light for the rod or the action of the rod may be too fast for your regular style of casting. If the action is too fast for you your lures will hit the water hard and fast and pretty much directly in front of you with no distance. To correct this you need to work on your timing.
To expand off of what BassVAmp is saying too, regarding free spooling and what not. Once you get alot more comfortable with thumbing the spool, you get can a little more aggressive with your setup. You won't necessarily need to keep it at that set brake to where when it hits the ground, you have no backlash. After getting comfortable over the past couple years, I actually have mine set rather loose so it'll fall quicker.. I feel because of that, I can get a little more out of my cast. I may be a little more prone to backlashes but since I'm very comfortable now with my control over the spool, I'm not too worried.. It all just comes down to personal preference.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
bassvamp said:
With each lure you should readjust the tension on the spool by loosening the small knob on the left of the reel.
I do adjust the spool tension with every new lure. I am relatively new to baitcasters, but my problem is I am not use to that heavy of a rod. I need a lighter action rod I think.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Tapout42 said:
I do adjust the spool tension with every new lure. I am relatively new to baitcasters, but my problem is I am not use to that heavy of a rod. I need a lighter action rod I think.
If you "feel " tha's the problem then you would know whats best for you, I was just suggesting other possibilities. and btw Assassin is right - the setting I was reffering to were pretty much "starting points" they need to be tuned to you individual style and comfort level.

·
Registered
155 Posts
It just takes a lot of practice and experimenting with different set ups. Alot of it depends on what style, cover, and terminal tackle you intend to fish on and with. Good luck in your trials.

·
Registered
52 Posts
The main thing is practice. Even if your setup isn't matched well and the lure isn't tuned to the set-up with practice you could cast it with some proficiency. Practice, practice, practice...
Ugly stiks are strong rods but for performance in casting they aren't the best choice. Daiwa makes some good products but if you want to get the best bang for the buck Shimano's rods are the way to go. For $90 you can get a Shimano Compre rod to perfectly match your reel, they use very strong, sensitive graphite blanks and come with a lifetime warranty.
Not sure where your located, but I'd highly recommend taking your setup to TackleDirect (they are in OC) one weekend and let them steer you in the right direction. Those guys will hook you up with the perfect rod for your reel and can give you tips on casting...they have an awesome shop and carry all the major brands.

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
bassvamp said:
Thanks for the tips I too have just started using a baitcaster. I am fine with side arm cast ,but in a tight situation I still can't do an over head cast wothout losing time and/or line for the dreaded back lash.

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
Great thread.....

I also am considering trying to learn a baitcaster...

One question is, if you are more aggressive and keep the brake on a lighter setting, would you control or prevent a birdsnest by using your thumb on the spool, or do you not involve your thumb at all? :confused:

BassAssassin8 said:
Once you get alot more comfortable with thumbing the spool, you get can a little more aggressive with your setup. You won't necessarily need to keep it at that set brake to where when it hits the ground, you have no backlash. After getting comfortable over the past couple years, I actually have mine set rather loose so it'll fall quicker.. I feel because of that, I can get a little more out of my cast. I may be a little more prone to backlashes but since I'm very comfortable now with my control over the spool, I'm not too worried.. It all just comes down to personal preference.

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
apexii said:
I also am considering trying to learn a baitcaster...

One question is, if you are more aggressive and keep the brake on a lighter setting, would you control or prevent a birdsnest by using your thumb on the spool, or do you not involve your thumb at all? :confused:

Hah, honestly, it just comes down to preference, knowing your baitcaster, and practice.. My baitcaster has become a "6th sense" so to speak. There are times I do keep my thumb on the spool & other times I don't need to until the bait hits the water. It all depends on what I'm throwing, which baitcaster I'm using, etc. It also depends on the cast I'm making or, how good or bad of a cast I made.. If it's a little less than a good cast, I'll use a little more thumb to make sure I don't get any birdnests & to just smoothen out my cast. Usually, I just know during the cast what I should & shouldn't do to get the most out of it.. I actually keep my brake at a little less than normal setting.. The norm is like 6 or 7..But I keep it at about 6..I get more aggressive with the cast control knob more than the brakes..I hope this helped ya.

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
thanks!

I know exactly what you mean, thanks for explaining it like you did. There are different variables that will effect how you handle the spool.. I think I understand the theory and now just need to give it a try! :cool:

·
Registered
472 Posts
If you would like to try a light action Allstar, I have one you can try. It's a 6 ft. rod rated for 1/4-5/8 oz. very easy casting. I'm in williamstown.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts