BASS BARN banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seeing all the Threads here I see there are some very knowledgeable FF's here and was hoping you could help me with a decision.
Looking for a 9 weight fast action rod. I love the Scott S3s rod. Unfortunately the price is out of my ball field so, was looking at the TFO TiCr in the 9 weight. Any opinions on this rod would be appreciated. Should I keep adding the penny's to the jar and save for the Scott or will the TFO give me some good quality and get the job done? Thanks.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Why do you want a #9? Where are you planning to use it(not S.P.O.T.S.)? Have you thought about reels? what about lines?
I might be able to advise, if you can provide some more insight.
Talk at you soon.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
there are a lot of guys on here that use and love their TFO rods. The TiCr is a good look rod that is very affordable.

I went to check the numbers on both rods that you mention on the Common Cents site, which rates rods according to action and actual line weight equivalent. The Scott S3S was not listed, but there were a number of SAS rods listed, as well as a STS. It seems that all of the Scott rods are in the medium fast to fast action range, and their posted line weights hold true. The Temple Fork TiCr is only listed in a 6 weight, and there are a number of Temple Fork IM6 rods listed. Overall, the Temple Fork rods are understated in their line weight, but are all fast to very fast action rods. As for the line weighting, the 6 weight TiCr is shown being the equivalent of a 7.77 weight rod, meaning that you should have a 7 weight line on that rod in order to get the best performance based on average conditions. The IM6 rods are also low by one line weighting.

So, what does all of this tell you? Not much, other than the TF rods are fast action, and on average they are under rated by a line weight. My suggestion would be to go to a TF dealer with the line and reel that you plan on using, and cast that puppy for a while to see how you like it.

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Definately agree. My 10wt TiCR should be listed as an 11wt. Heavy, fast rod. Still good, though.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have my reel, Ross CLA with a floating line, intermediate line and a 350gr line. I have been using a 10 weight for the past couple yrs and just wanted to drop down to a 9 for bays and to ease the aging muscles a bit. Basically it will be used in the back side of IBSP and maybe a bit any where up the NE coast.
I have heard that the TFO TiCr was a stiff rod and while I do want a fast action, I don't want a broom stick either. So this is where I am, a 10 weight I am use to and a reel with spools spooled up with various 9 weights. Looking for all your wisdom here, Thanks

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
I use my 8wt TiCr with 8 and 9wt lines. As you said Joe, with the 8wt line, the action is very fast. This rod will cast the tightest loop that I have ever seen! So tight, it actually is "pointed" at the tip of the loop, rather than a nice half circle. Freinds have referred to this as " throwing darts". I prefer this when fishing quiet back waters with 8wt intermediate lines for casting jiggys and deceivers...
For my topwater fishing, I use a 9wt line with a cut down tip. Because I am throwing a more wind resistant fly, a more powerfull line works well. The slower rod action and slightly larger loop all blend well with the wind resitant fly to make long casts possible. A change in casting stroke will automaticly take place when your arm feels the rod load more slowley.
The 8wt is my favorite and most used rod..
Best of luck in your quest.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts