BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6,862 Posts
Originally posted by HOT GREASE:
Hi, I am looking for a rod to match a Sham. Baitrunner 3500 spooled with 15 # Andre. I want to use it for chunking in the bay with clam or bunker for Stripers.
For chunkin in the bay you may want to go up to the 4500 or 6500.

15lb test may be a little light for chunkin bass in the bay. That will give you less that 185Y of line o the 3500. We run 50 and 65lb braid and 50lb or 60lb leader, that gives me around 300Y of line, we are using conventional reels. That is one of the benefits of using braid, you can get more line on the reel at a high test. When you are on the hook the Bass get into that current and work it. When you are setting the hook (we use 10/0) you need to pop it out of your nogin or chunk and sink it into there jaw. Look at it like this, if you are chunkin the bay you are looking for BIG fish. You don't want to worry about you line breaking if you get a 40lb plus bass on.

As for a rod for that reel:
St. Croix Tidemaster Inshore Spinning Rod
TS70MHF 7' MH Fast-action 10 - 20line 1/2 - 1 1/2oz 5.10wt $120.00 http://www.fishermansheadquarters.com/stcroix_tidemaster_spinning_rods.htm

Cheaper Rod:
what BobECT said

[ 12-16-2005, 07:43 PM: Message edited by: Bay Stalker ]

·
Registered
6,862 Posts
Originally posted by whatevermakesyouhappy:
Bay Stalker, if he jumped up to a 6500 what would you suggest.
Maybe try this one, see bottom. I would say put the reel on it to see how it balances out with that reel weighing almost 31 oz. They are not a reel I would buy because of there weight and I prefer to use conventional. That reel alone weighs more that my complete chunking setup. I am using a G.Loomis BBR965C 8ft 17-40 Line 2-8oz and a Penn 965 with a 975 handle on it. This set-up is about 25oz.

TS80XHXF 8' XH X-Fast 1 15 - 40 3/4 - 3 7.60

[ 12-16-2005, 05:55 PM: Message edited by: Bay Stalker ]

·
Registered
6,862 Posts
Originally posted by kenbrown:
...while we are making rod suggestions...

Avet SX

best value rod?

liking the St Croix tidemaster myself...
For the money you can not go wrong with a St.Croix.

Lami also has some great rods as does loomis.

This is a nice Lami
Graphite Inshore Classic 70MH
7' Length, 1 piece, 12-25lb Line, Casting Rod $129.99
http://www.eastcoasttackle.com/index.html?token=1019867259-1662702232-709433005&A=121&B=Lamiglas%20Rods

[ 12-16-2005, 07:46 PM: Message edited by: Bay Stalker ]

·
Registered
5,862 Posts
If you have the extra dough, go with Lami. My second choice is the St croix.

For a cheaper rod I have been hearing good reviews Tsunami's trophy boat and Shimano Compre musky series. The Shimano compre might be a little light for D bay chunking w/ bunker, but I love the Tsunami's. I use the Tsunami's for the surf and sod banks they are great rods for the price. I have not use the boat series, but is next on my christmas list for a striper rod.

When I am on the hook I like to be able to cast from the boat using a Penn ss 650, 750 or Shimano Thunnus.

TSUNAMI TSTBS 701MH TROPHY BOAT 7'0" 25/40#
1/2_2oz 1pc

conventional rod,
TSUNAMI TSTBC 701XH TROPHY BOAT 7'0" 30/50# 1_8oz 1pc

with Avet or Shimano charter special 2000. I love the penns 975 just are a little pricey.

[ 12-16-2005, 06:19 PM: Message edited by: johnny d ]

·
Registered
31,677 Posts
HUH! I ONLY USE PENN 320 AND 330GTI ON 6.6 PENN RODS WITH 30LB PP. I HAVE NOT TOPPED THE 41LBER YET BUT HAVE NOT HAD ANY PROBLEMS. NOT EXPENSIVE EQUIPMENT BUT THEY DUE ME JUST FINE.ALSO USE THE SAME SETUPS FOR DRUM IN THE SPRING. BIGGEST DRUM WITH THESE IS 71LB.

[ 12-16-2005, 07:45 PM: Message edited by: phish4fun ]

·
Registered
6,862 Posts
Originally posted by DEEP POCKETS:
Whats the better reel for chunking, the Penn 320/330 GTI or Penn 965 :confused: Thanks.
975LD or the 975CSLD, Lever Drag is the way to go or another manufactures lever drag reel. Not that there is anything wrong with the 320/330, just preference for me. The 320/330 are good work horses and take a beating.

I started using the 975LD this year chunking on my back up rod. The lever drag feature is great because it gives me infinite free spool adjustment when chunking. No playing with spool tension. No having the click click click when the tide is rolling. I am also going to replace my 965 on my chunking rod with one but I am going with the CSLD this time.

I had a problem this year with my favorite fishing hoody. You know the kind that looks like it should have been tossed 10 years ago. Well a part of the cuff was frayed, you gust it this piece gets caught in the level wind. Now During this I am hooked up to a big fish and she is trying to run. Thank god I had 65 lb braid on and a 60 lb leader. I had to grab the line and rip it off the reel to get the level wind through it. That is why I am not going to get another.
This is the New 956CSLD

·
Registered
544 Posts
I have to put my 2cents in on this as I just had a great experience with Loomis. You will pay a bit more up front but.. I had the rod in the truck I slipped and fell into the rod. I broke in half at the base, I was bumming big time. I called loomis and for $50 they sent me a brand new replacement no questions asked. I was impressed they also provide return shipping fed ex for the broken rod.

·
Registered
6,862 Posts
Originally posted by GABTRID:
I have to put my 2cents in on this as I just had a great experience with Loomis. You will pay a bit more up front but.. I had the rod in the truck I slipped and fell into the rod. I broke in half at the base, I was bumming big time. I called loomis and for $50 they sent me a brand new replacement no questions asked. I was impressed they also provide return shipping fed ex for the broken rod.
This is part of the preference I was talking about, whether rod or reel. As the old saying goes, you get what you pay for. Another thing is the feel of a higher end rod. You just can not compare the feel of a Loomis, St.coix, Lami or Cape Fear to a Penn or Ugly Stick. Using them are like fishing with a broomstick or pool stick.

disclaimer:
I have just finished a bottle of saki, take it from there

[ 12-17-2005, 12:50 AM: Message edited by: Bay Stalker ]

·
Registered
61 Posts
Yeah, but he's using this rod for clam or bunker (probably chunks?). I use the high end rods not only for the warranty, have used loomis's replacement deal 12 times. The lighter wieght to cast all day long. To feel every movement from my swimmer, every kick from the storm, or when the live bait on the hook starts getting nervous.
Not needed for bait. Glass rod isn't gonna break, lower cost. Just put a circle on that ball of snot, stick it in the holder, when rod goes down, reel.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Originally posted by Bay Stalker:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by DEEP POCKETS:
Whats the better reel for chunking, the Penn 320/330 GTI or Penn 965 :confused: Thanks.
975LD or the 975CSLD, Lever Drag is the way to go or another manufactures lever drag reel. Not that there is anything wrong with the 320/330, just preference for me. The 320/330 are good work horses and take a beating.

I started using the 975LD this year chunking on my back up rod. The lever drag feature is great because it gives me infinite free spool adjustment when chunking. No playing with spool tension. No having the click click click when the tide is rolling. I am also going to replace my 965 on my chunking rod with one but I am going with the CSLD this time.

I had a problem this year with my favorite fishing hoody. You know the kind that looks like it should have been tossed 10 years ago. Well a part of the cuff was frayed, you gust it this piece gets caught in the level wind. Now During this I am hooked up to a big fish and she is trying to run. Thank god I had 65 lb braid on and a 60 lb leader. I had to grab the line and rip it off the reel to get the level wind through it. That is why I am not going to get another.
This is the New 956CSLD
</font>[/QUOTE]Thanks for the info, much appreciated and couldnt agree with you more on the heavy braid/heavy leader, its not coincidence that you always loose BIG fish to an imperfection in either tackle or technique. Glad you got her in and thanks for the info

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
For a lever drag reel check out the Shimano Charter Special reels. I have a 1000 & a 2000 and love them for chunking.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.