BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at a few different combos for chunkin' in the bay and obx. What's the opinion (and I know there are several out there) on combo's for this. Watched Bob Ransom chunkin' clam on his show in the bay and was wondering what was his combo ???

[ 09-05-2004, 12:56 PM: Message edited by: eh009us ]

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
depends on budget. the sky is the limit on combo's. also consider if you want conventional or spinning. alos have to consider if your gear will pull double duty when fishing from the beach. if not casting your baits then get a few 3/0 or 4/0 penn reels and match em' up with some rods rated for 20-30lb line. if your lookin at spinng gear than take a look at a few of the "bait runner/live lining" series of reels. check ebay for some penn senator combo's or contact one of our sponsors for a deal.

Nick

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the surf angle covered, but mostly fish by boat these days (just a preference issue). I was looking at a few combos in the Bass Pro book and they have some good conventional combos in their own brand without paying the price for the Penn name. What weight on the stick, MH, Med., any thoughts ? Thanks Surfrat.....

·
Registered
8,254 Posts
the BL7030 lamiglas is a nice rod with a calcutta 400 or 700..i think the GUSA 80XF with the same reels would be awesome.i hope to have that set up soon.just waiting for the rod.good luck there are alot of choices..

·
Registered
7,013 Posts
EH-
Just thinking about it gets me excited for the upcoming season.

I have fished with the Calcuttas for the past 4 seasons and love them. They are pricey- but well worth the extra cash- IMO. BUT!!

This last year I purchased a Shimano Tekota 600 and I have to say it is a sweet reel for the $$$. You should be able to get one around $170. It is tough, made for boat wear and tear, and super smooth. Love the large clicker and it's placement. (Clicker placement stinks on the Calcuttas). Also the large handle a nice touch.

As for rods- all my chunking rods are the same. St. Croix- 6'6" Mediums- with fast action. I like the avid series.

Pair that with your favorite mono or 50lb power pro and you are ready to go.

Now come on Bass!

[ 09-05-2004, 02:29 PM: Message edited by: Partnership ]

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Anyone use an Ugly Stik rod/reel combo? Beggars can't be choosers, but I'm trying to keep the price @ $200 per combo, trying to outfit my boat without going over the price of my boat :D . Thanks guys.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Partnership-by the way, thanks. Looked up the tekota and looks like a good reel for @169.00 where I found it. I'll keep checking Ebay for deals on other stuff.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'll keep it in mind. I lived on Country lane for a year. Shoot me an email if you get a chance. ;)

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
Here is a great mqatch for that Tekota Reel

Rouge SW 705C Saltwater Rod 7' 0"
1 Piece / Line Weight: 15-30 / Lure Weight: 1 1/2-5oz
Power: Heavy / Action: Fast / Cast

James Tackle has them.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
eh009us

If you are looking for that price range, I know many people that use Ugly Stik's with Shimano Baitrunner's. That would put you at about the $200 range. I like to use Chaos rods or customs but thats my preference. I have 8 Chaos rods I bought last year and they are all matched with baitrunners (3500B, 4500B, and 6500B) And I love them. As far as the conventional Partership has it right Calcuttas are sweet, but fishing with him and the Rodfather I got to see the Tekota's in action and they are nice also. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
I have both spinning and conventional and I really love the Shimano bait runners. I have the calcutta 400 matched with a St. Croix premier 6'10" 14-30lb. It is a sweet set up. I also use the shimano bait runners 3500B and the 4500B. I use them with the St. Croix salt water series 7' 15-30lb which I love alot. I have seen the Tekota 600, which Partnership was talking about and I have to agree it is a sweet reel. I am thinking about getting one myself. Lamiglas has some great rods for chunking. Choose what ever makes you feel comfortable not what others are using. There is alot of very good rods and reels that will do the trick and at different price ranges.

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
Im not sure how the bass pro reels will handle the salt, i have no experience with them. since you want to stay under 200 per setup take a look at UglyStiks. keep checking ebay..there are deals to be had. you want a rod rated for 20-30 line and can handle upto 3-5oz. where will you be chunking? if your chunkin 8-15 your fine but if your chunkin some of those DEEP holes in Da Bay then you need a rod that handle weight upto 10-12oz. Conventional Ugly with a Penn 3/0 or 4/0. i have a few Shimano Calcutta's as well and they are sweet. The tekota and torium are great reels as well.
Nick

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
All great suggestions guys. I think for this year I'll spend my money on the reel (like tekota's) and match them up with an ugly stik until I see something I like. Hate to spend St. Croix or Loomis money and not like or break it. These will be striper (boat) rods for the bay and Oregon Inlet. RODFATHER-what do the Rouge rods go for, ballpark..?

·
Registered
12,164 Posts
Maybe I'm a sicko but my best combo right now is a seeker 6 1/2 ft with a penn 320 LD, which is a $300 set up. Take the 320 LD and put it on a 7 ft sea striker (of which I also own two) with soft tip and plenty of backbone and you have the rig you're looking for for under 200. The sea striker may seem a cheap name but go look at the rods. double wrapped, slick butt w/gimbal, soft tip, plenty of backbone. OK the components arent't the top of the line but how much do you use the rod and these are stripers afterall, not tuners.

As long as your pitching chunks the lever drag is the way to go. Stops the line run off in a heavy tide with a little adjustment. If you're looking to do some casting as well, substitute the new LD ABU 7000 for the same effect. The reel isn't quite as tough but will more than handle the job + it casts great too.

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
6 1/2 - 7' 8-20 # line uglystick penn 310 GTI if strickly for stripers !!Will do the job,and hold up well for a long time.can get 2 combo's for ballpark 300.00 or less !!!!
If looking for a combo that can serve as a striper/ drum looking ahead to spring..
The Penn 320 ld reel is sweet,afordable,and takes a beatin, bump up the line class for the rod...
My kids KILL my equipment,these setups,Will not die !!!

[ 09-07-2004, 07:50 AM: Message edited by: VDAWG ]

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
VDAWG-THAT'S what I'm talkin' 'bout! Something that'll take a beating and get stepped on when my kids are around. Like I said, rather spend the money on the reel for now, within reason. Went up to Cabelas yesterday "window shopping" and to check out the reels they had. Liked the Tekota reel because of the placement of the clicker. I always used to like the penn reels to, but the company is having some serious issues right now with the smaller suppliers on some of their higher end stuff....
Anyway, next week or two I'll pick up something.

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
If you want a sweet lever drag reel for stripers, check out the Shimano Charter Special model 2000. Price is around 120.00 I bought one last year and really love it.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.