BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guns and I headed up North a bit for a pre-planned ( 1 year ago ) 3 day Striper Hunt. We arrived Sunday evening with just enough time to get the RodFather in the water and to scoot out for a quick run to the Shark River inlet before dark. YIKES was the word when we arrived at the inlet. 4's and 5's where dominate with a stiff 20k out of the SE. Water temp 65 and very clean. We were very anxious so we stuck our nose out of the inlet for a looksky. We found bunker immediately so we snagged a few and started working them while holding on with one hand at all times :eek: No fish the first night as it was a quick looksy. Monday morning we headed out bright and early and broke the inlet at 5:00 am. We headed south a bit into a stiff 15k breeze in 3 footers. Overcast and the water 62 degrees and still very clean. Not many boats were out due to the forecast but we managed to last till about 11:00 am with one 35 lber to show for it. We headed in and took a few drifts for flatties and on the very first drift Gun's banged a nice 20"er. We called it a day about 3:00pm after having a nice lunch. Tuesday we headed out bright and early again but we didn't have much hope due to NOAA forecasting 25k and small craft advisories. Well we broke the inlet at 5:15 am and it was calm and almost flat. :confused: Okay we'll take it! It took us quite some time to find bunker in the chiller 56 degree water. The water was still super clean and sparkling, like tropical even. Many boats were out searching and searching for bunker. We ran into Capt. Terry Sullivan who assured us that at around 7 am when the Sun comes out the bunker will appear and sure enough he hit the nail on the head. We loaded up and headed North in search of the bass. Nothing for like an hour or so. Then we found this cute little rock jetty with our names written all over it and continued to bang bass there most of the day until 12:30 pm. We had bass up to 35 lbs and Tommy Guns had the obvious hot hand. It is so amazing watching Bass take bunker off the surface right in front of your eye's in crystal clear water. :eek: I'll let Tommy fill in the rest of the details. Below enjoy some pic;s and even a video. Tommy your like a brother to me, it was an awesome adventure with some real quality time, thanks again bro. Boss next time don't chicken out casue what NOAA says ;)

Video, turn up volume & click here ---> http://www.rodfather.com/RodFather%20site/Shark%20River.wmv

[ 06-15-2004, 06:28 PM: Message edited by: RodFather ]

·
Registered
13,997 Posts
Nice report Joe. Glad you guys got out and got 'em. And yes, unfortunately the marine forecast is beginning to border on useless. I guess ya' just gotta' go.

Phil

·
Registered
7,292 Posts
Looking smooth, looking good guys.

That's pretty cool, sounds like you guys make a good team.

Almost felt like I was there, thanks for the report Joe.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Wow...great report. For fishing a new area you guys did a fine job representing us SJ fisherman.

·
Registered
8,156 Posts
Great job guys! Awesome!

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
Nice job guys, even with the rough weather!!! ;) I'm dying to give that "live bunkering" a try. It sounds like an awesome adventure watching those hogs slamming the bunker. :eek: We had planned on hooking up with a guide up there this spring, but buying our new boat caused a slight change of plans for 2004. :( We'll hopefully give it a shot in 2005.
Isn't Capt. Terry Sullivan the cap you guys chartered with last year's awesome adventure up there?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Hey Guys nice job I headed up to some warmer water and we wound up with 16 fish up to 30 lbs but Capt. Sal on the Cathysea had a 53.9 lb just up the beach from me! Awesome Day!

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
Looks like you guys had a blast. I have never seen such exotic green water in New Jersey.

Hey Tom how did you like that Rogue/Tekota set up?

Great pics and movies!

·
Registered
7,237 Posts
Great job Joe & Tom.
You hung in there for the reward. ;)

·
Registered
7,013 Posts
What a couple of days.

If CM had this live bait fishery- with bunker everywhere- we'd never EVER want to leave.

When I say at times there was pods of bunker everywhere- I mean EVERYWHERE!!! And you are right off the beach.

We were working a jetty and in 10 foot of water- you could see the rocks below us! The highlight- though, was when my live bunker hit the surface right by the bow of the boat and was splashing around. Joe and I saw the bass come up to it- take a sniff, tail wack it- and take two tries at it before causually swimming away with the bait(and my hook) in its mouth. Fish on!

Add that clear, clean, aqua blue water with awesome shoreline mansions, an occasional bikini, and you've got one heck of a trip. Plus fish!

We went out of Shark River and it was one NICE set up- up there. Very convenient ramp, dockside accomodations, sleeping arrangements, and even a quick, easy ride to the inlet under the cover of darkness.

Joe was a flawless Captain in unknown waters. He put us on the bait- and on the fish. The first say we only saw three fish caught and we were on of them- so you can say we're pretty proud of that.

Capt Terry was our guide last year and he was awesome. This year we hit it by ourselves and tried new areas with very good success. We may not have gotten 16, but our 8 fish yesterday were worked for very hard and by the thumbs down we saw on boats near us- we did pretty damn good.

Rottn-I wish I had a memory like you for all the one liners and jokes and such. But then again- I guess you had to be there.

I can't wait to go again next year and if I learned 2 very important things:

1) NOAA is clueless. By the forecast for Tuesday- we should have packed our bags at 11pm and headed home. 20-30 knots and SCA. Dead wrong.

2) Friends should be placed as more important than any weather forecast. See #1.

Rottn: the Tekota/St. Croix combo is #1 AWESOME!!!
It was the way so hot rod of the weekend.

·
Premium Member
18,100 Posts
Originally posted by RodFather:
Boss next time don't chicken out casue what NOAA says ;)

Cooms, trust me when I tell ya...of all the things I regret in my life, not making this trip with you and Guns ranks somewhere towards the top right next to not investing in bottled water back in the 70's.

I was happy to hear you guys caugh fish and had a great time. I knew this trip meant a lot to you guys considering you've had it planned for a year. I can honesty say I regret not making the trek Up despite what NOAA predicted.

All I can say is...

I'M NOT WORTHY!

[ 06-16-2004, 10:46 AM: Message edited by: Ron Redington ]

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
Way to go guy's , the wind and water temperature drop definately hasn't helped the fishing but you guy's overcame and caught fish . Well done.

That water is great ! Last week we had an ocean sunfish pay us a visit 1/4 mi off the beach and with that clear water you would have sworn to be 60 mi out .

It looks like friday will be my next chance to sneak out.

I'M NOT WORTHY! Whimp

·
Premium Member
18,100 Posts
Originally posted by Partnership:
2) Friends should be placed as more important than any weather forecast. See #1.

I'll NEVER live this one down ;) That's ok though...I deserve it.

GUNS, in my defense, if I may...

I worked all day Saturday

After work I took Fishcakes To Dinner & A Movie (don't waste your $ on The Stepford Wives! It stunk)

Then we went out for a drink or two

An hour after I walked in the door It was time to make the 2 hour ride to the boat ramp in hopes to get there before sun up.

Keep in mind the only reason I even made the trip in the first place was after looking at the weather forcast for Monday & Tuesday. It appeared as though Sunday was gonna be my only chance ta fish so I rolled the dice and went for it.

Fished a half day in semi rough conditions with no sleep. Got soaked, puked a little bit...you know the routine ;)

Came home beat up pretty bad, logged on, checked the forcast and thought for sure there was no way I was fishing Monday or Tuesday based on the predicted small craft advisories, etc.

You know I luv you and Joe like brothers (in a non gay way of course) ;) but after that series of events and after taking a peak at the stack of Bass Barn related work that's been piling up on my desk :eek: well... I have to admit I was UNCOMMITTED.

Will you ever forgive me? Or will I have to hold ya down and give ya a Rasberry or something ;)

[ 06-16-2004, 10:47 AM: Message edited by: Ron Redington ]

1 - 20 of 35 Posts