BASS BARN banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
maybe you guys could help me out here.
guy that visits the local bar where i stop for a brew every so often. i have known this guy for some time and is always friendly and a bit of a recent wheeler dealer. tells me that he has been doing estate clean-outs and on more than one occasion has asked me if i woud be interested in some fishing gear. mostly outdated stuff that he wants more that its worth. well about a month ago he shows up with 2 PENN 80 w's on roller rods and a older PENN Senator also on a rod. well i wasn't there that time but a friend called me and asks if im interested ......his asking price 1200.00 i pass but my buddie lends him 300 for a week with a payback of 350.....week later he shows up and pays off the loan and the rods are returned. well last night he shows up again and my BIL calls me to tell me that he is back and really needs to sell these rods and wants 1000.00 BIL says 500.00 and he agrees pending my inspection. all the time he says they are not stolen and was asked more than once by a few interested partys. my question to you guys is would you go for it or let them pass...for 500 i could make a few bucks for my time but im a little leary of this one.

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
If you can buy them for $500. and make a few bucks, so could this guy. He could advertise them and get perhaps $800 or $900. Why doesn't he? Another thing that doesn't "smell right" is a guy who is down and out financially, possessing expensive rods and reels, like the ones described. If you ever watch Pawn Stars, one of the first questions Rick Harrison asks is: "where did you get them"?

I'd pass on this deal. It could develop into something real "messy".

·
Registered
5,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
this is not the first time he has offered fishing stuff and like i said he does do estate clean outs. in the past he's tried to sell me surf set ups, freshwater gear, tackle boxes full of fresh water stuff and some older saltwater gear
most of the time he goes to local flea markets with the stuff and if it doesn't sell he'll stop at the bar and see if anybody is interested. i always am interested in taking a look but up till now he's had nothing i've been interested in. i told him these are probably something i might not ever use but for 500 i could turn em over for some profit. do these big PENNS have serial #'s i could run to see if there is something fishy going on. i've also told him if i buy these and they turn out to be hot i will give him up in a minute.he swears up and down that they are not stolen

what to do what to do :huh:

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
I would guess if he is willing to show a photo ID, maybe they are not stolen.
Hard to say from here but ID would protect you if it turns out to be hot. Say you need a receipt in case you get stopped or questioned. Keep us posted. Heck if he really does Estate/clean out's might be worth you getting his phone #. If he is willing to do all that Go for It!!!!

·
Registered
5,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i've known him for quite a few years know where he lives have his phone #'s
no need for me to see his ID i know its him :D

i think i might do this .............stay tuned :wave:

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Alright I'm someone who also buys and sells just about anything I can make a buck on, my father and I have done it for a side business for over 20 yrs, buying Estates,storeage units,running yardsales and so on, we sell at Berlin Flea market almost every weekend, and sell on Ebay,craigslist and other auctions. and all these TV shows are definetly hurting and effecting the market. but as far as what your asking, this is something we are often faced with, is it stolen or is it just a great buy? Him selling items in a bar he is a regular at definetly doesn't make me think it's stolen, if he only showed up once in a great while then I would suspect it more as being stolen. When we get anyone wanting to sell us any type of high end item I mostly want to meet them at their house, we have them give us a written receipt with their license plate number if they aren't at their house and we also do as they do on Pawn stars we ask them where they got the items, I also take down their license plate number. If they won't do that,then walk away, Penn Internationals like most high end reels do have serial numbers so they can be tracked if stolen. I keep a list of all of our reels serial numbers just in case of theft. Remember this if it is found tobe stolen it is confiscated and you loose it, that's best case, you can also face charges of recieveing stolen proberty, since you know where he lives and have his phone number I doubt it is stolen, but still would get a written reciept tobe safe. If you don't want to buy the stuff email us we'll buy the items if he checks out and give you a finders fee for whatever we buy. One of the reasons alot of people don't just put it on ebay and make the profit themselves is taxes, you are suppose to charge tax on any items you sell regardless of how or who you sell it to, alot of people don't and you could be asked about this. You should have a TAX ID number when selling online, we list our items and use the reciepts pay income tax on the profits each quater. Plus you need an account on ebay and need to also have a Paypal account, otherise it isn't so easy todo. I know just about everyone has sold stuff on ebay without paying taxes on it, I'm just saying legally you are required to, we get people all the time that bring items to us while selling at Berlin unless we know them we now tell them they aren't allowed to sell anything in there unless they have paid for a spot. they used to drive in early in the mornings and try and sell items to various vendors instead of getting a spot to sell, this has been completely banned, they can no longer drive in unless they have a paid spot. The gates are locked at 8am and not opened until 3pm and they have guards at the gates, the police also often do walk threws looking for stolen proberty, if someone is walking around and sees an item that was stolen from them the cops come right in and grab them. . If they are suspect not only do we not buy it we'll call the Police on them, since I've had tackle stolen before as have many friends and I hate thieves, so if we can turn one in I'm more then happy todo so. Even selling at Berlin you are required to have a Tax number, again alot of sellers don't, and a few times a year the tax people show up, they come in one end, and we always know when they're there since venders try running out the opposite gate, often leaveing their goods on the ground, the smart ones without tax numbers play it cool and don't run. That's the only shot they have at not getting fined and looseing their items, since the tax officers have the police at the other end of the auction waiting for them, it's pretty funny, they're scrambling all over, dropping items, stuffing items in their vehicles, and they loose it all, they get loaded on a bus and get taken to the police station. they also arrest those selling illegal DVD's,CD's or Knock offs. I know that one for sure since I'm one of the guys they have go and buy items from people they suspect. All kinds of entertaining things going on at the local flea markets. But back to your guy I think your good togo as long as you know where he lives,have his phone number, jot down his car license plte and get a reciept, if you feel uncomfortible tell him to contact us. We'll make sure he's legit and take care of you as well.

·
Registered
5,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well i bought em':D 0ne is a 80 international on a older custom 7 foot rod with full aftco rollers and a removable aftco straight butt :thumbsup:

the other is a 80W also on a older custom 7.6 foot rod and a bit heavier than the 7 footer also full roller aftco guides and removable straight aftco butt :thumbsup:

both are fully loaded with dacron and a heathy top shot. both are in perfect working order and cleaned up very nice. you could tell they have been sitting a while. after i paid him i asked him if he could give me a receipt. didn't even question and wrote me one. he also told me happy birthday and merry x-mas:D and informed me that i was getting a great deal and my only response was and i quote ""NO SH!T"" we both had a laugh and talked about maybe trying to use these things one day ( these are some heavy duty stuff ) and i said that it was like buying a big TV and having to build a room for it.

whats next a 45 foot sport fisher to go along with em.

almost forgot the senator 6/0 on a roller tipped 6.6 rod its old abut like the others it works fine and cleaned up pretty nice.

ahhhh it was a good day :thumbsup::wave:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts