BASS BARN banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Roller Guides or Acid Rings??

I have picked a pair of blanks from 50 to 130 lb. That I am going to put my Penn 80 SW's on. There are some really good Fuji acid ring fixed eyes that will handle braided line. They will also handle any wind ons, and connections that I plan on using. I currently have a few outfits that have all roller guides and they work well. I know there are pros and cons to everything.
I plan on using these 2 sets ups for WWWB Tuna, Sharking & Canyon Trolling Blue Marlin. I am getting the stow a butts put on, so I can easily change between bent ot straight butts. I am thinking about putting the acid ring eyes on the rods:confused:. Is there a major advantage to roller guides? Any input would be appreciated.
A good friend of mine is making the rods for me and is an excellent rod builder. We fished alot together last summer and he wants to build these rods for my 80's.

·
Registered
8,256 Posts
i have done rings, rollers, acid rings, acid rollers.

your builder should be able to give you a good selection of guides to use.

rings are nice, rollers are good if you take care of them.
for over 80# rollers are usually used more.

for what you are doing i would suggest to the customer to use wind-on rollers.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Paul

He has used guides and acid rings and will put on which ever I want. I am kind of leaning towards trying out the acid rings. Is there a major advantage of the roller guides? In some instances guys have lost fish when the line has come off the roller and got caught in the small gap at the end?
The acid rings are what the jigging rods are primarily built with right??

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sweet

I saw the acid ring guides on a pair of rods that he just built for someone else. They do look sweet. Are the ring guides made from the same materials that the jigging rings are being made from? I know the jigging rings would not be as heavy, but they are virtually indestructable.
I believe the ones I saw today were made by Fuji. The blanks I chose were from the company that just bought out Graphite USA. They use a double helix engineered blank that felt nice. The Calstar was also nice:)
Paul -I appreciate your advice as I know that you are one of the best in the business:thumbsup:

·
Registered
8,256 Posts
the UC with the doublex helix, may be nice.
i havent had a chance to play with them yet...to new

i did work with GUSA getting a blank i liked.
and they were nice.
still have some of the GUSA;)

Fuji..yes..rings are same material.
Sic or Sin

good luck with the build.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.