BASS BARN banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What type of roller do I need to use to apply bottom paint? Nap height and do I need to get one made from a particular material? I will be applying Trinidad SR. As far as paint brushes, I was planning on using an all nylon bristle brush, what is everyone else using? Thanks.

·
Registered
9,118 Posts
I do bottom painting on the side. Any type of roller thats acts more like a sponge I like the best. Lets you get all the paint out of the roller, and wont get heavy. Stay away from those thick material rollers as they collect alot of paint and seem to drip paint as you roll. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Phil, are you saying to get a roller with just sponge material on? Where you purchase your rollers? Lowes or Home Depot?I would also think a heavy nap roller would collect the copper as well. Thanks

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
I bought the black sponge rollers at WalMart. They are about half the diameter of a normal roller. They work great too.

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Frayed.

·
Registered
9,118 Posts
Never - Satisfied said:
Phil, are you saying to get a roller with just sponge material on? Where you purchase your rollers? Lowes or Home Depot?I would also think a heavy nap roller would collect the copper as well. Thanks
You can get them at walmart. There like a foam roller.

·
Registered
98 Posts
wal-mart is not a sponsor

please use sponsors as i was told

·
Registered
14,496 Posts
LOL got to love the new guys.

·
Registered
389 Posts
1/4" nap and have a 2" brush ready to cut anything in i use a 4" roller it is easier to maneuver takes me about an hour on 23' grady gulfstream

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Anybody ever have a sleeve melt on ya ? I did, Thats why i all ways buy the foam sleeves that are made for epoxies and varnishes.:)

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Did any of you ever try the paint pads?? I used one this year and was quite happy with it. Also, it seemed to give a smoother finish to the paint where the roller seemed to leave a small dimpled effect. Cost about the same as the rollers.

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Jerry Anton said:
Did any of you ever try the paint pads?? I used one this year and was quite happy with it. Also, it seemed to give a smoother finish to the paint where the roller seemed to leave a small dimpled effect. Cost about the same as the rollers.
I use those paint pads ,6" models, to stain decks, there are great. Maybe I will get a few to try on the bottom as well.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts