BASS BARN banner

Rotary vises are they worth it?

2K views 18 replies 15 participants last post by  VF Fishhead 
#1 ·
I would like to start tying flies. I have Regal squeeze lever vise that I use for tying bucktails. I have been tying lead head bucktails since 1970. For the last few years I have been going to NY for salmon with my son. He started tying flies (mostly wooley buggers) which he uses on trout and sunfish. he and I would like if there is any real advantage to a rotary vise or are they just gimmicks? We were looking at Renzettis. Is there any advantage to tieing bucktails up to 5/0 on a rotary?

#2 ·
You ask a few question. I'll try to answer a couple but the question of whether it is worth it I can't answer that for you.

First (IMHO), Renzetti make the finest vice on the market. Some maybe just as good or not as expensive but they make the product all other use as a benchmark. No gimmick.

Next, rotary tying is a style of tying where you rotate the fly to apply materials instead of rotating the material. the result is that you never have a blind spot on your fly, the application point of the material is right in front of you. Once you get the hang of tying in this style you will find that your speed and neatness increase. if you are just starting out learning to tye rotary is easy, if you have been tying for a long time it is harder to get comfortable rotary tying and you may never completely rotary tye.

Not all rotary is the same Renzetti is "True" rotary, meaning that the fly rotates with the hook shank as the axis. Other rotary vices just spin in a circle to give you a full view but do not allow rotary tying. the renzetti vice is quality made in the USA and has a lifetme warranty.

I hope that helps.
for what its worth I have been tying on a renzetti for nearly 20 years including 10 years of commerical tying where i must have tied thousands of flies from size #26 tricos to 6/0 saltwater baitfish, I love the vice so much I have 2, a traveler and a master.

#4 ·
I agree -- get a rotary. Every dedicated saltwater fly tier owes it to himself to experiment with epoxy flies -- stuff like surf candies can be deadly under the right conditions. And you need a rotary vise to work with epoxy.

Get a rotary vise and don't look back. You won't regret it.

#9 ·
yea, get a rotary. It's going to save you TIME and you're flies will look better. My mom bought me a Renzetti Travler for Christmas when I was about 12 and I've been using that one ever since. It was either that or a Nintendo... I made the right choice.:thumbsup:

#11 ·
One More Thing Before You Get A Vise

I think like everyone above said - Get a Rotary...

I would second the Rensetti. They make great stuff and you will enjoy using it. I would suggest that you try it before you get one if you can so you can see and feel what you are getting. This comes up a lot and I think that if you are going to be spending a lot of time using the vice make sure it not only holds the hooks you use 80% of the time and does what you want, make sure ergonomically it works for you to. Last part sounds funny. But is you have poor gripping strength in you hand - I would not get a Regale because you have to Squeeze it to get the hook in. Decide if a C-Clamp or Pedestal is what you want - they both feel different tying on.

I know that whatever one you get you will love it and use it well.........

Brad

#12 ·
my first vice was a thompson cheapy I used for about 2 years

my second vise was a standard regal, I used for about 25 years

I then got a dana king rotary vise

I sooo wish I gut a rotary vise earlier...

I dont use the rotary vise to spin on materials, but for ease of tying, ability to rotate fly back and forth to check sides, there is nothing better.

BTW I tie some big jig bucktails with the rotary and like it..

#15 ·
I have the Renzetti SW traveler. That is the one Bob Clouser told me to ge, and I got it from him. I had a C clamp type that you squeeze that was given to me, and it was about 2 months, before i went to the renzetti. There was no looking back

#16 ·
many folks in my experience tie on the Dyna king rotary vises. One advantage is that the cam lever is longer than the Renzetti and the other advantage is generally cost. Dyna Kings are less money than Rensetti, and come with a tool to ensure the hook shank is lined up on the axis, regardless of the size of the hook gap. The solid construction of Dyna King appeals to many when compared with the Rensetti' aluminum.

#19 ·
I have a question about vises. I now use a cheapo rotary vise. AM looking at the HMH with the mega jaws to do saltwater teasers and surf candy. How does everyone like or dislike this vise, and what is able to do larger hooks
If you read through the posts you will notice that most of us like the Renzzetti vices. they are what the other strive to be. a couple of other vices some of us around here like are smoking, drinking and loose women.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.