BASS BARN banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saturday weather was calling for 5 knots or less seas 1 ft. Son and I headed out, got about 5 miles out and wind is blowing pretty good out of NW. kept going to our destination and it’s blowing even harder. Hold on with 1 hand and fish with the other. Friend texted me and said you aren’t out there are you it’s blowing 20 NW. Eased up at tide change and we got into some blues. Kept some for the smoker and smoked bluefish dip it is. This forecasting has happened several times this year so I guess we will wait for a gale warning to go out and it will be calm :ROFLMAO: Lots of ship and tugs pulling barges with containers traffic keeping that supply line moving.
Water Sky Fluid Wind wave Liquid
Food Seafood Fish Cuisine Fish products
Water Sky Watercraft Boat Vehicle

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
Nice report. You use any certain apps for wind/weather- if you rely on NOAA, give windfinder.com a try- pretty accurate and yes- they have blown forecasts too but I think they are more reliable compared to NOAA.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice report. You use any certain apps for wind/weather- if you rely on NOAA, give windfinder.com a try- pretty accurate and yes- they have blown forecasts too but I think they are more reliable compared to NOAA.
I usually look at harbor tides, marine weather.net and wind finder. They were all on same page, I even looked at wind finder while we were out and it showed 4 mph. Off day I guess

·
Registered
795 Posts
Saturday weather was calling for 5 knots or less seas 1 ft. Son and I headed out, got about 5 miles out and wind is blowing pretty good out of NW. kept going to our destination and it’s blowing even harder. Hold on with 1 hand and fish with the other. Friend texted me and said you aren’t out there are you it’s blowing 20 NW. Eased up at tide change and we got into some blues. Kept some for the smoker and smoked bluefish dip it is. This forecasting has happened several times this year so I guess we will wait for a gale warning to go out and it will be calm :ROFLMAO: Lots of ship and tugs pulling barges with containers traffic keeping that supply line moving. View attachment 490474 View attachment 490478 View attachment 490480
Just for a heads up, the forecast you followed is for the PM as I have come to understand it does not reflect the AM conditions. There is a science to plotting weather for Delaware Bay using NOAA hourly weather graph and I usually use at least 3 methods to get my defined area hourly weather winds report. The coastal weather report I use is mainly Cape May Point South of East Point and North of East Point according to if moving up the bay. If going out deep follow the Cape May South report. Coastal Waters reports for Delaware Bay are a rough estimate guide for conditions and can be misleading at times which is why I go with NOAA.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts