BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Asselta seeks local workers for Rt. 52 work
By MICHAEL MILLER Staff Writer, (609) 463-6712, E-Mail/Press of Atlantic City

SOMERS POINT - The new Route 52 causeway will be the most expensive public project in southern New Jersey.

State Sen. Nicholas Asselta said he wants local workers to get a cut of the $300 million contracts.

Asselta told the Ocean City Regional Chamber of Commerce on Tuesday he would press the state to award contracts to New Jersey companies, particularly companies in his 1st District, which includes Atlantic, Cumberland and Cape May counties.

On Tuesday, the state Department of Transportation also announced a new program called "Hyperbuild" that's designed to reduce project time and save money on construction.

Included in the 14 projects unveiled as part of Hyperbuild is the Route 52 causeway project. DOT officials estimate they can cut construction time by 52 months and save $25 million in the process.

The first bids will be awarded in October. Construction on the two-phase project is expected to take about 52 months.

"This is the single, largest (public) project in New Jersey. The most important part is to make sure our people in southern New Jersey do the work," Asselta said. "We don't want some company from out of state hiring out-of-state workers."

Asselta said the state has discretion when awarding contracts.

"We'll be keeping our eyes on this," he said. "You're talking about a four- or five-year project that's employing a lot of people."

The project calls for replacing the ground-level causeway with two parallel bridges stretching from Somers Point to Ocean City. Once the northbound bridge is completed, the state will demolish the old causeway and build the southbound bridge. The 2.5-mile continuous spans will rest atop piers 18 feet above the old causeway with two 55-foot-tall bridges at either end.

The old causeway, built in 1932, consists of a flat roadbed on tidal islands connected by two drawbridges and two fixed bridges. The new span will resemble the elevated highway that connects the Florida Keys.

The state will keep four lanes of traffic open during the busy summer months, but will narrow that to two lanes for days or weeks during the winter.

As part of the project, the state will build a new Ocean City Welcome Center, fishing piers and boat launches to provide access to the Great Egg Harbor Bay. Project Manager Dave Lambert said the bridge is also considered a public park.

"It will be the greatest bridge project created in New Jersey," Lambert said.

He still needs permits from the state Department of Environmental Protection and the U.S. Coast Guard. Already, he has acquired wetlands and CAFRA, or Coastal Area Review Facilities Act, permits.

The project is five times as expensive as the new Ocean City-Longport Bridge. That project faced myriad complications, the biggest of which was the untimely closing of the old bridge in 2001. Pile driving for the new span undermined the old bridge, prompting the state to close it more than a year earlier than expected.

In the event of a similar circumstance, the state has plans to detour traffic, engineer Sylvester Fritz said. The state will make sure the contractor that wins the bid will be able to make quick emergency repairs to the old causeway if the need arises, he said.

Construction is expected to begin as early as next spring.

"They've incorporated most of our ideas and concerns into the project. It's going to be quite a welcome mat for Ocean City," chamber President Joann DelVescio said.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I'd like to be on that job.Cut 52 months off construction and save 25 million,has that ever happened in this state.

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
52 months doesn't sound as long as 4 and a half years. Hyper construction, huh? Sounds like lots of caffine. Maybe they cut a deal with Starbucks to set up coffee stands all over the place......with nothing but hightest

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
no way "the greates bridge project in NJ" will ever be completed ahead of schedule. Nj is the worst state in the union about changing construction code. I'll be about ready to retire by the time we will be able to fish on the new fishing piers the say they will build. And I'm only 26.

·
Banned
13,499 Posts
Originally posted by candyman:
52 months doesn't sound as long as 4 and a half years. Hyper construction, huh? Sounds like lots of caffine. Maybe they cut a deal with Starbucks to set up coffee stands all over the place......with nothing but hightest
I guess they'll just use the orange road cones and barrels that Wildwood had on Rio Grande for how many years? :D What a joke.

·
Registered
15,263 Posts
Will this be South Jerseys version of the Big Dig in Boston. See how much over budget and beyond schedule it can really be.

Still 4 1/2 years to build a bridge that just seems to be hyper expensive and brutal slow. The entirety of WW2 lasted less then that and this is fast?

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by Red_Cherokee:
Glad you and the boys cleaned it up for em Steve... :D
Yep, The Guys Did A Great Job Down There Last
Year,I Wonder How It Has Held Up Over The
Winter.I'm Sure "WILL BE BACK"

[ 03-09-2005, 04:26 PM: Message edited by: NIGHTSTRIKES ]

·
Banned
13,499 Posts
Originally posted by NIGHTSTRIKES:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Red_Cherokee:
Glad you and the boys cleaned it up for em Steve... :D
Yep, The Guys Did A Great Job Down There Last
Year,I Wonder How It Has Held Up Over The
Winter.I'm Sure "WILL BE BACK"

</font>[/QUOTE];)

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
WAIT'LL THEY START POUNDING AWAY,SINKING PILINGS!!! I'm not an engineer ...but I have fished under that bridge...it ain't pretty. I'm betting the thing will collaspe before they finish new bridge.

What are ya gonna do? They definitlely need new bridge, it's just that OC is so popular right now and in the Summer....it will be a mess.

Soon as the ol' bridge goes, the guys at the toll bridge will start using the other toll booth they have. You don't think when they gave the new toll bridge 2 booths that they weren't gonna use them both someday did ya????

And that one way dollar thing will be history

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
300 Million. I can't believe that was funded? Where's the payoff for NJ? Seems they could have acheived the same results without such a huge expense. Its not like your gonna see more people going to OC. The Island only has so much land/beach to build/rent. Will people now be more likely to rent in Lynwoood and commute to the Beach. Daaah No!

·
Registered
489 Posts
"The new span will resemble the elevated highway that connects the Florida Keys.
As part of the project, the state will build a new Ocean City Welcome Center, fishing piers and boat launches to provide access to the Great Egg Harbor Bay. Project Manager Dave Lambert said the bridge is also considered a public park."

I truly hope they did tear a page from Florida's book on how to do this project right. The projects they are doing down here at the Jensen Beach and Stuart causeways are super. Parks, walkways, gazebos, BBQ's, launch ramps, windsurfing beaches, parking... All under the bridges, beautiful. The room is there to do that same concept on Great Egg. In the overall scheme, it can't cost much more to do it either.

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here are some drawings of what can be expected.

[ 03-10-2005, 09:30 AM: Message edited by: NIGHTSTRIKES ]

·
Registered
771 Posts
Ramblin,
I was at the Stuart and Jensen Beach Causeway a few weeks back, unbelievable fishing access. The Hurricane destroyed much of the River Walk, and some of the fishing pier under the bridge but the paper said they will have it repaired by July 4th. The pier under the Stuart Causeway travels hundreds of feet under the bridge from the south end to the main channel way on the northern end. Its what happens when lots of fishermen actually get together and apply pressure.

·
Registered
6,862 Posts
Lets hope the fishing access part of the construction don't get cut to get the work done on the bridge faster.

Steve,
Do you know if there are any public meetings coming up on the project?

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Originally posted by Bay Stalker:

Steve,
Do you know if there are any public meetings coming up on the project?
Jeff/LongCast,
Any Info On This ?? Anything on the table ??

Thanks Bud,,

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Originally posted by Longcast:
Steve,

I have not heard anything in a while. If I do,I will let you know.

Jeff
Thanks Jeff, Me Too,I havn't heard a thing either. If Something Doe's Come Up, I Will Try
To Rally The Troops Again,,,

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
a good number of the people who use the bridge cannot vote in that district...very interesting. But the contractors do!!!!! Who cares about the shoobies, the constituents have to work for a bunch of years...get them contracts! Brilliant! If I am working on that bridge, Asselta gets my vote, my family's vote, and neighbors.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts