BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to remind boater/fishermen that drifting thought a channel fishing does not mean that you have the right of way .

For two weeks in a row I have had somewhat close calls for no reason . One time at the top of the Cape May rock pile in the "swirl" another time going under the George Reading bridge . Both times should have been avoided just by using common sense . I would suggest moving when you see a larger less maneuverable boat coming toward ya . Our boats are slower and sometimes harder to steer , Then the boats that you might be used too .

Also when your in a high traffic area I think it is a very bad idea to let a Young boy drive . For instance going under a bridge is not the time to let the youngster learn how to drive . Very dumb !!!!!!!

On this holiday weekend lets all be safe and use common sense . Thank you

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
Fishpicker,
Good advise. I don't know why something so rare is called common. Have a nice holiday.

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Fishpicker,
So Right You Are..Thanks for the Reminder,
Let's Hope as we enter the summer boating season
everyone uses good common sense and we all can
stay safe out there..

Thanks Again,, Good Advise.....

·
Registered
7,292 Posts
Could not agree more good post.

Just as with cars most boating accidents are actaully collisions caused by human error. I see what FishPicker described here a lot in the back. Many ICW's are actually very narrow, and the big guys just need to get through without running a ground, that's all.

I fish from a skiff, so I am a small guy, for the record.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Fishpicker,
Welcome to summertime. This is the time when everybody leaves their worries and common sense home and heads to the shore!
Only 104 more days 'till Labor Day.

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
Thought about posting this myself. On Saturday ran the boat hard aground because a guy was broadside in the narrowest part of the channel behind Sea Isle. On monday behind wildwood had a guy wave me out of a VERY Narrow channel indignantly because he was fishing....fortunately it was dead high tide.

I politely told him he was obstuctinmg a channel (which is enforceable by the CG/Marine police) but he just indignantly waved me around. There were 3 boats literally packed so close I couldn't get between them and the channel markers without stopping and backing to make the tight turns.

This is inexcusable behavior for mariners...I can only hope no one gets hurt but this kind of stuff will eventually lead to water rage...just like on our highways when people become like this.

Let's get with the program you few that don't understand the rules or at least common sense.

·
Registered
254 Posts
You're worried about boats DRIFTING thru the channels :( :( .....the a-holes up by me have taken to ANCHORING in the channels.... and to add insult to injury they've reported me twice for excessive wake :mad: :mad: :mad:

·
Registered
52,618 Posts
WHAT WE NEED IS UNMARKED BOATS TO STRICKLY ENFORCE THE MANY LAWS WE ALREADY HAVE ON THE BOOKS,OR CAMERAS AT THE AREAS OF THE MOST TRAFFIC.
SUNDAY AFTERNOON AS WE WEREGOING OUT CAPE MAY INLET THERE WAS A 25FT CUDDY ANCHORED ABOUT 200 YARDS INSIDE THE INLET FISHING.

·
Registered
7,237 Posts
Yep, there are many a**holes fishing and blocking navigation on the ICW and inlet, especially in the CM & WW area. Sometimes I see 4 or 5 drifting the same area, completely blocking navigation, and this is on weekdays. One day I saw a 80' clammer blasting his horn at a group of boats blocking navigation and they just took there good old time moving, to a point that the clammer almost had to stop. I?m lucky I can do my fishing on weekdays and stay away from the water on weekends. I?m sure this is a large problem for the bigger boats on the weekends.

[ 05-26-2004, 08:32 AM: Message edited by: Capt Lew ]

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
Dont forget the jetskiers and muscle boats blowin down the bay not payin to much attention.that shoud wake up the people in the channel fishing. I over heard some kids talking that they actually go looking for the boats drifting in the channel because thy have the rite of way

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
Now you know why I fish at night ;) The Moron Factor is usually a bit lower in the dark. I like Jack's idea but with a twist. Unmarked boats running over all the fools drifting and anchoring in the middle of the channel :eek: Is that too severe?

I was running the ICW a few years back from Cape May to LBI and ran across a few of these morons...I slowed down and pulled real close and told the offending idiots to get out of the channel. They just flipped me the bird :eek: I felt so much like running them down!

Oh My God, I am getting boat rage at the computer screen.

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
Hey...I work the back bays every day and I don't mind zig zagging around a few fishermen. I just don't expect a hard time because I throw a bit of wake...usually smaller because I'm up on plane. Most move in plenty of time but lately I've had ones that caused me to leave the channel which I shouldn't have and therefore damaged a boat and the other just plain was arrogantly stupid...refusing to budge.

Fish away but don't complain about little wakes or having to move....you are in violation of the Rules of the Road and I don't want anyone hurt or tempers to flare.

How much simpler could it get????????????

·
Registered
254 Posts
Mudcat.....the a-holes called the local police who in turn called the marine police (who know me ;) ;) ) who then came calling....whom I then informed of the exact circumstances and location... then they told me to try and not kill anybody because of all the paperwork they would have to do and then they left. :D

·
Registered
144 Posts
Not to sound stupid, (ignorant maybe) but what exactly are the "rules of the road"?
I'm a weekend warrior from PA and I fish NJ,DE,MD,VA,NY,OH and PA. I always thought NJ guys were the most courteous bunch on the water when I was fishing the ICWs. Usually these guys would slow down through a bunch of fishermen in the channel. Recently though, that has seemed to change. I've never had as many close calls as I have had this spring. What's up? Is the Atlantic going somewhere that everyone has to blow by the "little" guys ten feet from their boat? Perhaps the little lady told these guys not to be late for dinner "or else".
I'm not trying to stir the pot, but can't we all have common sense and be courteous to others. As an "outsider" I feel like I shouldn't even be fishing "your" water at times. What's the word?

Notch

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Notch,
Welcome To The BassBarn.Com,
Glad To Have You Aboard..............

I don't think you can blame any one person from
one state or another here.
Personally I Believe We Just Have Alot of
Un-Educated New Boaters on the scene Here
in NJ over the last few years...
It doens't take much these days to buy a boat
but everyone should take the time and take
at least a Boating Course to get familiar
with the Rules and Regs of the Water...
The USCG Aux.Offers these types of classes
during the year.They would be suprised how
much you need to be aware of out there......

[ 05-26-2004, 01:13 PM: Message edited by: NIGHTSTRIKES ]

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
Notch,
If you need to ask, "What exactly what are the Rules of the Road?"
You need to take a boating course or at the very least read a book on seamanship.
There are specific Rules of the Road and you should know them.

And.......

[ 05-26-2004, 01:32 PM: Message edited by: capthersch ]

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
Notch,

Welcome to the Barn! You will earn much here and have a good time doing it!

The Rules of the Road are the set of Federal Laws that spell out the responsibility of all vessel operators on Navigable waters of the US, there is also an international component. They basically tell you what you can and cannot do with regard to navigation. They establish a hierarchy of vessel types and activities with the specific goal of reducing collisions on the water.

Just to make a point that no one has made yet, there are no references in "The Rules" to right of way. That whole terminology appears to grant something special to one vessel over another. The rules only establish the hierarchy, the absolute responsibility to avoid a collision rests with the vessel operator. That operator must if all else fails, make any adjustments necessary, even if they are against the rules, to avoid a collision.

Notch, You might want to consider a Basic Boating Safety course. They are given by the US Power Squadron and the USCG Auxiliary. It will clear up some of the confusion and will very likely put you head and shoulders above the untrained boaters clogging up navigable channels with 12 to 16 foot aluminum row boats :rolleyes:

·
Registered
52,618 Posts
NOTCH---WELCOME TO THE FUNNY FARM,WE LEARN AND WE TEACH AND GOD KNOWS THERE WILL BE DAYS YOU SIT IN FRONT OF A TV THAT CAN'T TALK AND WILL LAUGH YOU BEACH BALLS OFF. IN YOUR POST YOU SAID TWO WORDS THAT ARE SO IMPORTANT OUT THERE. COMMON SENSE.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts