BASS BARN banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday afternoon, caught (Yo-Zuri Magnet Pin Minnow baby trout pattern) & kept, an RVTA tagged 27”, 7 lb. 1 oz. rainbow, wading RVR’s eastern shoreline, near campsite # 60.It hit fairly close to shore, & then took off,……..taking out some drag,……after it tired, the westerly winds helped in landing it. Late last winter / early spring, in the same general area, I hooked, but lost a similarly large rainbow right at the shoreline.

The largest trout that I ever caught.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Waderman I think you just caught that one you lost last winter. That trout is a giant. Thats the one the kids tell stories about!

Awesome job and give you props for getting out in the cold weather.

-Matt

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Waderman I think you just caught that one you lost last winter. That trout is a giant. Thats the one the kids tell stories about!

Awesome job and give you props for getting out in the cold weather.

-Matt
Yes, I think so too, Matt. Last winter, multiple times, I saw a huge trout swimming past me in knee deep water. Cast towards it, & nothing.
Then, as soon as the lure hit the water after another long cast,......Kaboom!!
A large tail fin broke the water, way out there. It was heavy,…..but not taking out any drag. The NW winds were again strong, aiding me in reeling the behemoth in.
A couple feet from shore, I could see the big rainbow. Almost landed, it used its used its sheer bulk to break free,……& was gone.

I’m betting that when RVTA stocked it late last winter / early spring, it was probably 8 lbs, bulked up by daily overfeeding of trout chow @ The Musky Trout Hatchery.

Now, in RVR, I don’t think it found much to eat. The only item I found in the stomach was 1 minute mayfly larvae.

My Yo-Zuri Magnet Pin Minnow, did indeed, look like a juicy baby trout. Then, alas,……. “Through his lips cut the cold, barbed steel” (“The Ol' Diamond Back Sturgeon”, by Primus
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGkRof7983g ).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.