BASS BARN banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there is an upwelling that occurs due to sustained S/SW winds which produces colder water temps along the Jersey coast; however, looking at the news last night, the water temps along the coast of Delaware are significantly higher. Doesn?t the sustained S/SW wind have any effect on the Delaware coast?

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
It has to be a strong sustained wind. Should be the same effect in DE, unless you're talking about the DE Delaware BAYshore, then it's a different can of worms altogether. Possibly the warm outflow of the Bay along the beaches of DE raises the temps? The Del Bay is significantly warmer than the ocean.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It was the temps along the Delaware shore points (south of Lewis), not the bay shore points. That's why I find it so odd. The temps have been significantly higher during the past 2 weeks. I was wondering if it was possibly due to the lay of the land.

The warmer Delaware water emptying into the ocean along the DE coast does make sense.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Joe D., you're right on the money about the DE Bay warming up the Delaware surf. Due to the Coriolis Effect, the cleaner green ocean water will be at the northern/eastern portions of the bay, while the dirtier brown bay water will be at the southern/western portions.

This phenomenon results in temperature discrepancies between Cape May and Cape Henlopen, which are much more prounced during periods of south/west wind. When blowing SW, a body of cold upwelled water usually sits at the eastern mouth of the bay along the CM rips. You can observe the upwelling on the NJ SST charts from the RUCoolroom.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts