BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have some sabiki rigs with tiny hooks here that haven't gotten any usage. Can I cast them out and fish them like a jig or do I need to vertical jig as if from a boat or bridge? I've never gotten around to using them because I don't fish from bridges (near them, not on them) and I don't own a boat. Thanks.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
From my experience they respond to them differently from year to year, day to day, hour to hour. Sometimes a steady 3-4" jig, sometimes a slow elaborated lift and drop, sometimes just hang it under a bobber, sometimes cast cross current and slow reel it back. I try to leave one out under a bobber and then play around with another one and Ive had most success this year with the slow lift and drop.

RyanF

·
Registered
25,303 Posts
Slow lift and stop is the ticket.

Good luck.

·
Registered
9,251 Posts
put a small diamond jig on the bottom and jig it,

sometimes a simple cast and retrieve is more effective

sometimes like ryan said, drifting it weightless under a float is effective.

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the help guys. How do you float it weightless? I am not familiar with this technique...

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Even Steven said:
Thanks for the help guys. How do you float it weightless? I am not familiar with this technique...
Zar must have voted yes on the dry dock stoner poll, throw a small dart on the bottom. Or just a small bass sinker. Minimal weight is sweet sometimes when they are popping, maybe just a split shot and it will run parallel with the tide at the surface, but I like to have the water column covered.

RyanF

·
Registered
9,251 Posts
1/4 ozers

RyanF said:
Zar must have voted yes on the dry dock stoner poll, throw a small dart on the bottom. Or just a small bass sinker. Minimal weight is sweet sometimes when they are popping, maybe just a split shot and it will run parallel with the tide at the surface, but I like to have the water column covered.

RyanF
secrete diamond jigs.... i found them in the 99.99 degree water.

·
Registered
225 Posts
If you hook up with that sabiki make sure you leave it in the water for a minute, often you'll get a double, sometimes even a triple. ;)

·
Registered
20,269 Posts
... and bring a box of band-aids.. ;)

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
squidder 329 said:
I have two sabiki rigs, the hooks look very small. I wondering if the hooks and big enough and if the herring have bones in the lip.
I like them tiny, but there is no doubt you are gonna tear a couple off. Use a light action rod.

RyanF

·
Registered
168 Posts
You'll have no problem with the sabikis. We had a couple of triple headers and many doubles on Bluebacks in the Shark River last year. Also, we used to get a lot of flounder in the Manasquan Inlet in the fall. We always cast them with 1oz bank sinkers on the end. Occasional double headers of flounder also.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Kevin2 said:
we used to get a lot of flounder in the Manasquan Inlet in the fall. We always cast them with 1oz bank sinkers on the end. Occasional double headers of flounder also.
I caught a few like that not trying for them. Never thought to target them that way but the way you wish the water there for flounder it seems to make sense to me. I'll have to try that next time I'm there for them. Thanks.

I cast out into the current with a small spoon on the end as a weight. I let the current take the rig and do a slow lift pause so lift pause routine. Works good for me. Catching herring was always fun. Some day I'll try to pickle a few.

·
Registered
557 Posts
sabiki in the back for herring

I Use Sabikis Most Of The Year . How Swift Is The Water 3/8 To 1 Oz Sinker. And The Fun Begins. 1 ,2 ,3, 4 Herring At A Time What A Blast .in Between Herring I've Caught Weakfish ,snapper Blues ,and A Flounder Or Two.its All In The Way You Fish Them.don't Forget Gulls. If You Wind Them In Slow You Can Top Off The Hooks With Fishbite Bloodworms. Add To The Fun.:)

·
Registered
590 Posts
I seem to remember that one of the hooks needs to be cut from them if you are fishing in NJ on the Delaware. Sound familiar?

I can't remember breakfast let alone last year.... :)

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Another note, it doesnt really seem to matter which brand I use, but its nice to make sure they have a barrell swivel up top and a snap swivel on the bottom. Just a little less headache when you switch them up.

RyanF

·
Registered
9,251 Posts
RyanF said:
Another note, it doesnt really seem to matter which brand I use, but its nice to make sure they have a barrell swivel up top and a snap swivel on the bottom. Just a little less headache when you switch them up.

RyanF
i prefer attaching them via bimi-twist or blood knot.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
zar2754 said:
i prefer attaching them via bimi-twist or blood knot.
dude, its just a sabiki rig you nutcase

RyanF

1 - 20 of 22 Posts