BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A Barnegat light commercial boat was recently capsized and lost 1 of 2 guys on the boat. Mears was his name. Thought and prayers are with his family...

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Sorry to hear this.....Thoughts and Prayers to the family

·
Registered
20,269 Posts
Very sad. Prayers for the family.

Isn't the Francis Ann out of Barnegat that rescued the survivor the boat from the TV show Swords?

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Sad day for the Mears family. I knew Jimmy when I commercial fished out of BL. Hell of a nice guy. My thoughts and prayers go out to the Mears family.

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
Worked alongside these guys when I fished out of the same marina on the net boats. RIP.

·
Registered
971 Posts
That sucks. Prayers go out to the family.

Just goes to show you how fast things can go bad out there. 3' seas and a 40+ footer. Makes you wonder what went wrong.

·
Registered
26 Posts
It truly is a sad day indeed. I'm a close friend of dan jr. who was on board the monika at the time. I just started fishing with the family a few days ago and they are great captians. The mandy ness was side swiped by an oil tanker and caused it to capsize leaving the men stuck in an air pocket. My thoughts and prayers go out to the mears family. Jim was a great man.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Sorry to hear this. My thoughts and prayers are with the family

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Sad to hear thoughts and prayers to the family.:( We had a close call one time like that scary thing sometimes i think no one is drivin them.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Very sad. A local TV crew (channel 12) interviewed us when we came off the water this morning.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I work with alot of people that used to work on large container/oil vessels. They always say there is no way that they can see a small boat on their radar. If they do its to late. Ashame with all this technology in this world these accidents still happen.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Its just sickening... Just so so sad that this can happen, I do not want to sound ignorant - But how can this tragedy happen!!? I have to assume that this happened at night when the crew was sleeping?

I dont know - again just sickening... My prayers go out for his family.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
I work with alot of people that used to work on large container/oil vessels. They always say there is no way that they can see a small boat on their radar. If they do its to late. Ashame with all this technology in this world these accidents still happen.
Did they say how big of a boat can they see? This was a 44', I’m not sure what the purpose of radar is if they can see what is in fount of them. How is their radar different from small boat radars? I would think there’s would be much better at identifying objects.

It is a very sad situation and I pray the family is strong in this very hard time

1 - 20 of 40 Posts