BASS BARN banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been doing some thinking on a salt water electric motor for fluking in the back to keep the hours down on the gas motor as well as keep it silent. Been looking at some of the Minn Kotas and there are three choices: stern mount, bow mount, and gas engine mount. The gas engine ones mount to your existing motor so you can use your current steering wheel for direction. The ad states that it is above the water when on plane. Anyone have any experience with these? Also the stern vs. bow mount: The bow mount pulls you on your path but I'm wondering how that would be into the wind. I like to keep my stern into the wind when drifting to keep the boat from spinning around. Would a stern mount running in reverse be better for this? Appreciate any comments and suggestions -

·
Registered
822 Posts
For overall use, bow mount (much better control) and as much power as you can afford.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
depends on how big your boat is and how much wind area it carries. The lower the profile, less power is needed.
A friend has a 36 volt piggy back trolling motor on a 20 ft Sea Hunt and likes it. Winds over 15 kt still overpower it.
In 15+ kts, nothing beats the OB in reverse as needed.

·
Registered
11,868 Posts
Front is the way to go, unless you are in a small boat with a tiller gas motor...only since you don't have to move. I use both, front is much easier to control and comes in bigger sizes.

edit:
I've also used my transom mount on small CC's since a front would take up too much space and it was too difficult to get to the bow every time I needed it. So, I guess go with what's easier for you.

As far as the lower unit mounted ones are concerned, don't do it. They are $$ and don't last long. And you can't raise your outboard to get in shallower water cause you'd also raise the electrics.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Ive got a remote controled bow mount minnkota with a remote that clips right onto the rod...pretty sweet..I'll never own another boat without one.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I have a Min Kota on the bow of my 17' Boston Whaler and love it. Wouldn't own another bay boat without one! I cant remember how big it is but it is the most powerful one I could get and still use just one 12v battery. I have to be careful when fly casting from the bow so the line doesn't get tangled in the prop but as far as I am concerned the bow is the place to put it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
bow mount remote control

I have a bow mount Minn Kota rip tide with the remote control, as mentioned you can clip it right on to your rod does a great job. I also have a Minn Kota quick release mounting bracket. If motor is going to be in the way you can leave it behind or stow it. If you can afford add the I-Pilot it is a remote with gps that stores your trolling path or works as an electronic anchor holding you on a spot...gives the "captain" more fishing time and less time adjusting the course. I have used transom mounts and foot controlled bow mounts and the bow mount with remote control is by far the best combination for letting the driver fish.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Bow Mount without a doubt...

once you have a trolling motor you will never go back to fishing without one. I use a hand control, but I am am running the boat for clients as opposed to fishing on my own. As is with the common thought throughout this thread go with as much power as you can afford.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts