BASS BARN banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have this 30 gal fish tank just taking up space in my basement and was curious if anyone has tried to keep spot in one and if so how long will they live assuming I have proper filtration and aeration?

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
Not big enough.

Bait pen is probably a better option if you are on a lagoon. Even better would be a rubbermaid stock tank with a circulating pump from the lagoon and the return back in the lagoon.

If you aren't on a lagoon you are talking about the costs WAY outweighing the benefit. You are looking at filtration for 100 gallons at least which is probably going to run you $300-$600. You are going to be looking at a protein skimmer set up as well which is probably about $400 as well.

Beyond this it gets into a whole hoopla of water chemistry, pre-mixing saltwater, and establishing a biological filter bed.

My advice, if you aren't on a lagoon, buy or catch your bait when you need it.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jay- figured that might be the case but had a mesh bait pen two years ago in my slip on the intercoastal and the marine growth on it was ridiculous. Maybe because the current is so strong where I am that marine organisms are looking for something to grab onto. Regardless I ended up tossing the thing. May try a bait pen made out of something other than mesh. Do they have one that is treated with something that inhibits or prevents marine growth?

·
Registered
6,121 Posts
a round 30 gal Nalgene barrel would be better..square tanks stress the baits they bruise easily hitting the sides of the tank,,,I think the rule of thumb is 1 fish per gallon of water But in a small tank I would go even less maybe only 15 baits..water flow is Important,,,,if you weigh the cost you are probably better off with a bait pen if you have a lagoon.with good water flow to keep your spots in. I have seen guys who keep Killies alive in a 30 gallon fishtank pretty successfully.

Liv 2 fish
Forced 2 work,..

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
FishingLuhrs said:
I have this 30 gal fish tank just taking up space in my basement and was curious if anyone has tried to keep spot in one and if so how long will they live assuming I have proper filtration and aeration?
30 gallon tank = 5-6 avg. size spot {thats with extreme filtration and lots water movement...you would really need a 150gal+ with 15-25X water flow (150x25=3750) you would need a pump that does about 5,000 gph going to a spray bar, two dump boxes and 6-8 big powerheads and prolly two aquaclear 500's with activated carbon and amonia remover to clear the crap...} then you could keep 50-75 smaller spot...unless you gotta good hookup for cheap pumps and such and a lot of experience with keeping larger saltwater gittup's it would expensive and a lot of work

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
Joseph Lamberty said:
I think the rule of thumb is 1 fish per gallon of water But in a small tank I would go even less maybe only 15 baits..quote]

rule is One inch of fish per per gallon of tank...30 gal=30 inches of fish, or 6 five inch fish(spot)

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
Guys, I have been keeping saltwater aquarium fish for years.

30 gallons...maybe 2-3 spot. Besides that he'd spend way more than its worth.

With the bait pen, my only advice is to pull it every couple weeks and hit it with a pressure washer.

If you have access to a 110v outlet, get a rubbermaid stock tank. Plumb it with a bulkhead fitting for the pump output on the bottom, overflow bulkhead on the top. Put a check valve in between the pump and the tank so if the power goes off the water doesn't syphon out.

Cut yourself a lid with a lock on the top so no one steals your baits and voila.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts