BASS BARN banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The herring I have I vacum seal for chunking but would also like to salt them too. If anybody has some salting recipes for herring or any other fish I would realy apprecite it. If you ever see me fishing and you gave me a recipe I will surely share some of my bounty. You can't miss me I'm missing two fingers and always wear a "Team Real Tree" hat with polarized shades.

Jersey Mike

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
i saw a thread on this, they put 1 layer of filets,layer of salt, then filet and layer of salt, put them in those reusable glad containers and put in the fridge, not freezer. i heard they get mushy if ya freeze em. iam gonna try it in my vacuum sealer and see what happens

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Salting

Mike here is a sure fire way to preserve Herring.

Put your Fresh herring in a Bucket and Ice them add 1 gallon salt water and mix.This super cold brine will help chill them without freezing them.Let them soak for 4 or 5 hours adding ice as needed.Remove the Herring and arrange on a chilled cookie tray.Salt them liberaly on both sides with Kosher or Sea salt.Coat them good.Place a paper towel in vacumn bag and lay whole fish 3-4 per pack and seal.they will last for a few months in the refrigerator.Dont freeze them they will become mushy,HRL:)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts