BASS BARN banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8,156 Posts
I did it once. I used sea salt and mixed them in it and it formed like a thick brine. I vacume packed them. They worked good when i used them months later. Dont rinse them if they are sandy just pack it all together.

·
Registered
19,485 Posts
I salt my own clams and herring for bait. I have always used coarse kosher salt and never had a proble.

I use a big plastic tub with a lid and put a layer of salt on the bottom. Cover the clams with more salt and do another layer. I can do about three dozen surf clams at a time this way.

Refrigerate and after about three days I take the tub and pour off all the liquid that the salt has pulled out of the clam.

I throw in some extra salt to finish the job then back on with the lid and back in the refrigerator until I need them.

I have kept herring and clam all winter using this method with no odor at all. The salt and the brine from the salt cures the clams and herring with no deterioration.

I still have a few herring fillets from last spring and they are in great shape.

Good luck. :cool:

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I also salt my own clams that I bring home. Chunking's way is probably the best. When I am at the shore and I go clamming and bring them back, I placed the clams on the foam holders that meat are on with holes in them so that the water will run out. I place these foam things on a bucket and use Kosher salt on them to harden them up, then I will put in a container once hard. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
52,618 Posts
JM--WELCOME TO THE PLACE GRUMPY MEN GROUCH FOR ANOTHER FEW MONTHS TILL WE GET HAPPY.THAT IS A GREAT QUESTION YOU ASKED ABOUT THE FISH CARING.DOES THE SALTING HELP KEEP THE BAIT OR HELP CATCH THE FISH???

·
Registered
19,485 Posts
I use fresh clams as long as I can get them. I keep a good supply frozen and a shelf full of salted.

Catch fish on all three and can't really say that I noticed and slow down either way.

If there is some difference it is miniscule when you consider the options.

Right now you can read posts from guys who are looking for and willing to travel to find an opoen bait and tackle shop.

Thats why I keep frozen and salted in reserve. May be a hassel when you do it but worth their weight in gold when you need them.

Freezing makes them a little soft and mushy. Salting shrinks and firms them up. Stripers just don't seem to care either way.

All to often we think of our own sense of taste or smell when we look at bait. If we were programed to eat and didn't know where our next meal was coming from we wouldn't be picky.

The only difference between a seagull and a striper is the striper can't sit on your boat and take a dump. Other than that they eat just about anything. :D :D :D

I'm heading out in about an hour and I have lots of bait that I took out of the freezer yesterday. Sure beats running around this morning looking for bait. :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts