BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was fishing today looking for some early stripers in the river and the game warden asked if I had a saltwater fishing registration??? I have my NJ fishing liscense, but he said this was different. He didn't bust my stones or anything he said that it is new. He also said it was free. Has anyone else heard of this?:huh:

· Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I always buy my NJ fishing liscence because I like to do some freshwater fishing sometimes too. I figured that would cover everything anyway. I guess they will be taking more money out of my pocket next year!:mad:

· Registered
237 Posts
The state of NJ is putting together saltwater registration for 2011. it will be free and you will not have to register for the fed's again. Also, it will be in the law to keep it free forever.

it has not passed legislation yet. it is being worked on.

· Registered
76 Posts
License might be a good thing

Just a short history lesson. In 1909 fishermen who want to fish in the fresh waters of NJ had to purchase a fishing license. They probably felt the same way a lot of saltwater fishermen feel now. It seems that after a hundred years of freshwater fishermen getting their licenses, it's only logical that the saltwater fishermen now follow suit. There are many out there that will say that we won't get anything for our money, I tend to disagree. While the Division of F&W may not stock fish they will be better able to protect our interests in Washington and set the record straight about what we really catch not just what Washington thinks we catch. I would rather see my money stay at home where I have a say in what gets done. I spend plenty of money each year on bait fuel and tackle, the cost of a license would be minimal compared to everything else I buy. One thing I would suggest is that there be a license I can buy for my recreational boat that would cover everybody on board. This way when I want to take a friend who doesn't normally fish he can do so w/o having to get a license for a single trip. ;)

· Banned
513 Posts
Just a short history lesson. In 1909 fishermen who want to fish in the fresh waters of NJ had to purchase a fishing license. They probably felt the same way a lot of saltwater fishermen feel now. It seems that after a hundred years of freshwater fishermen getting their licenses, it's only logical that the saltwater fishermen now follow suit. There are many out there that will say that we won't get anything for our money, I tend to disagree. While the Division of F&W may not stock fish they will be better able to protect our interests in Washington and set the record straight about what we really catch not just what Washington thinks we catch. I would rather see my money stay at home where I have a say in what gets done. I spend plenty of money each year on bait fuel and tackle, the cost of a license would be minimal compared to everything else I buy. One thing I would suggest is that there be a license I can buy for my recreational boat that would cover everybody on board. This way when I want to take a friend who doesn't normally fish he can do so w/o having to get a license for a single trip. ;)
You are kidding right? Do you honestly believe that any government agency is going to take any money they make from a salt water license to go to protecting our interest. That's a joke. Government agencies lie constantly, every time they raise taxes and tolls they tell you its for road and bridge repair. I have yet to see that happen. Now you think as soon as they start charging for this they will use the money to help fishermen. Keep dreaming.:nuts:

· Registered
76 Posts
License money is protected in NJ!

I beg to differ with you, the money that is spent on hunting and fishing licenses in NJ goes into a separate account that can only be used by Fish and Wildlife. I would rather spend my money here than send it to Washington. At least here I can have a voice in what gets done, not so much in Washington. Freshwater fishermen have paid for a license since 1909 and they seem to be getting a good deal for the money. If F&W can do something similar to that in saltwater, then count me in. I don't mind paying for a good product, I hate wasting money and sending the money to Washington next year to fish is like flushing it down the toilet. I hate to say it but we need to keep up with the times and protect our rights to fish in saltwater.

· Registered
4 Posts
You are kidding right? Do you honestly believe that any government agency is going to take any money they make from a salt water license to go to protecting our interest. That's a joke. Government agencies lie constantly, every time they raise taxes and tolls they tell you its for road and bridge repair. I have yet to see that happen. Now you think as soon as they start charging for this they will use the money to help fishermen. Keep dreaming.:nuts:
So true. You only have to look to the the joint bridge authority. Look at all the projects they put money into beside the bridges. Soccer Stadium, Tram between Phila and Camden (started the stopped but spent over 1 million), and other various pet projects. I'm sure at some level they all are important in their own right but then when bridge work is really needed the tolls go up. Just show me one govt. group that uses tax money wisely and what is was intended for. Or better yet, show me how any of the groups that are suppose to help rec fisherman have done so. So I agree, dream on!

· Registered
40 Posts
fishing registration

I was fishing today looking for some early stripers in the river and the game warden asked if I had a saltwater fishing registration??? I have my NJ fishing liscense, but he said this was different. He didn't bust my stones or anything he said that it is new. He also said it was free. Has anyone else heard of this?:huh:
Marine Recreational Information Program CLICK ON THIS O JUST GOT MINE IN THE MAIL FOR THE FISHING REGULATION FORM ITS FREE AND I GOT MINE PRETTY FAST

· Registered
76 Posts
You sir, are wrong

Money collected from license fees go into the Hunters and Anglers Fund which since it's inception has not been raided and has only been used by the Division of Fish and Wildlife. They have only used the money for wildlife related projects. It is one of the only funds that has been utilized what it was set up for. When I get my license I know that money is not going into the "Trenton Rathole". If you don't believe me check it out for yourself.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.