BASS BARN banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if I could get any advice on how to fly fish off the beach and in the back bays?
tight lines

·
Registered
440 Posts
Stay tuned.... one of the many members of the South Jersey Coast Fly Anglers that post here will be with you in one moment. ;) ;) ;) :D

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
I use an 8 and 9 wt rod with intermediate line. I have done well with clousers and deceivers in the basic color patterns. I wade almost exclusively but I do flyfish from a boat when I have the chance.

I fish creek mouths and any structure that I can find....sandbars, pilings, sodbanks and jetties.

Since I fish in the DBay most of the time, I need to use brighter colors because the water is so murky. I target water that is 1-5 feet deep and I manage to pick a fair share of stripers and flounder.

By the way, in another post you mentioned a floating clouser.....how do get a clouser to float? Doesn't that defeat the purpose?

·
Registered
440 Posts
Originally posted by snichols:

By the way, in another post you mentioned a floating clouser.....how do get a clouser to float? Doesn't that defeat the purpose?
a floating clouser is not exactly what you are thinking. The head of this fly is foam instead of the weighted dumbell eyes.

fyfisheriup,

I notice you are from Ocean City. You should meet up with the guys from SJCFA- they hold their meetings within minutes of you.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Dave....thanks for the clarification. I still don't understand why it would be called a clouser, why not some other name that makes sense? :confused: :D

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
I guess I'm a moron, I knew it was the creator's name but I assumed that he tied one type of fly that was marketed/mass produced.

I had no idea that he had a line of flies like Bob Popovic does.

I guess I should start catching up on flyfishing and stop plugging and bait fishing. ;)

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Steve,
Maybe he's referring to the Clouser Floating Minnow? It's not really a "clouser" at all, more like a surface slider.

For starting in saltwater, I'd say stick to the backwaters at first. You can comfortably use a 6-10wt rod, depending on current and wind speed. From trouting, you'll be more used to the currents and calmer waters of the back than the pounding surf of the front. There are actually tons of similarities as to how you fish the backwaters and how you go about fishing a trout stream. Look for riplines, back eddies, drop-offs, submerged grassy points... anything that looks like it would attract fish. If you see busting bait, then cast there too. Good flies to start with are deceivers and clouser deep minnows. Both mimic a ton of things while not being anything exact. For starters, carry both patterns in chartruese over white, red over white, and blue over white, in 2"-6" sizes, to cover most of your bases. You don't need to go crazy, just a few of each color pattern in different lengths.

Walking the sod banks (those green marshy banks you see as you drive through the meadows to the barrier islands) is a great way to find fish. Just make sure to stay at least a rod's length away from the edge, as most banks are undercut and you could take a dive if one decides to break away with you on it!!!!! Most fish will be caught along or even under the banks, so always first cast ahead of where you will be walking, then you can fan out your casts to cover all the water.

For the surf, stick with a 9 or 10wt rod. Again, cast where you'd think fish would be holding. Cuts, troughs, bars, rock piles, whereever. The waves will want to mess you up. You'll have to time your cast to fall into the calmer backwash of the waves instead of in front of them. It takes good timing and practice. If you feel like wading, the best way to fish the surf is parallel to the shoreline. Wade out to deeper water, cast sideways behind the waves, and let your fly get bounced around in the whitewash behind them. It's much easier to control your line this way than casting perpendicular to the shoreline. Most beach-caught fish will be in knee-to-thigh deep water in the whitewash.

The SJ surf is pretty bland, being a flat shelf of sand with very little structure. Good for swimming, and little else. So our backwaters are much more interesting when it comes to fly fishing.

The ocean as a whole (surf and bays) may look like a daunting at first, but like any trout stream, just break it down into it's simpler parts and you'll be fishing like a pro in no time

[ 04-05-2006, 05:26 PM: Message edited by: Fly Ty R ]

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Thanks Dave.

Fyfisheriup....sorry that I questioned the floating clouser but at least I got an answer. ;)

[ 04-05-2006, 05:42 PM: Message edited by: snichols ]

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Ummm, yep... Like Sparse said, both! :D If you know how to nymph, half the battle is won. Don't forget to bring a few small crab and worm patterns, too, as nymphing them can be deadly. In fact, if you have some thin red or brown whooly buggers, they are pretty good worm imitators. You could even use some bigger San Juan Worms if you want.

Use strike indicators too if you have them, as they are good for holding the fly under the water at a certain depth for a very long drift along the banks.

For streamers, if you can, dead drift them along in the current next to the bank. That is much much easier to do in a boat, but can be done with an upstream hook cast along the bank from shore too. Flatwings are really good for this, but deceivers work well too. The standard cast and retrieve also works well, too.

If nothing is happening along the bank, fan cast a jiggy or clouser out from the bank and hop it slowly along the bottom. Usually something will pick it up (striper, blue, fluke, searobin, sea bass, herring, electric eel, etc)... ;)

[ 04-06-2006, 09:35 AM: Message edited by: Fly Ty R ]

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
Flyfishiup, as President of SJCFA I would like to welcome to attend one of our meetings and check us out. We meet the third Thursday of the month. Start at 7:00 pm with casting help the hour before the meeting.
Meetings are in Ocean City at the Bay Center.

Web-site has more information.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
fyfisheriup, one more,if you know what I mean by good looking areas that show signs such as a lot of bait. If you do not connect on the initial try go back and hit it again during different part of the tide or diff tide.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts