BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can anybody reccomend some companies who offer this and are priced reasonably... ive called a few places in regards to soda blasting and its just out of my budget is sand blasting cheaper??

ive read some bad stories about sand blasting damaging gel coats....

closer to keyport the better (thats where the boat is)

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
Go with soda blasting - sand will damage the gel coat. If you can't afford soda blasting, then you'll need plenty of elbow grease with paint remover & sandpaper.
Contact Captain Phil. He can put you in touch with the right people.
George

·
Registered
128 Posts
I had mine soda blasted last winter from a Barn sponsor and it worked exactly as advertised. The hull came out in great shape. From reading on the boating forums it seems that most people had better experiences with soda blasting than sand blasting.
If I had to do it again I would have chosen the farrow system. The soda blast left the hull with a very smooth finish so I had to pay someone else four hours of labor to sand/scuff the hull in order to prep it to accept the barrier coat. Apparently that isn't necessary with the farrow system because it doesn't leave the hull as smooth. In the end I would have actually saved money by spending a little more to have a different vendor use the farrow system.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Pennsylvania guy,
Sand vs Soda vs Farrow vs walnut shell vs dry ice vs any blast media ?

What ever you decide to go with, make sure your boat is not the operators first. If you choose to go with sand, make sure that the person has experience working with fiberglass. I would only let one person/team use sand on my boat and they do not service your area. The father and son team who still blast with sand are good old boys from the eastern shore of Maryland and do fiberglass repair too. Most blast operators will not use sand because the silica can/will cause cancer.

If cost is a deciding factor you are better off running a sander over the existing paint to level it and repainting over the old paint.

As for finish between different blast systems and media:
We/I can adjust the machine to the boat. Each boat is different, the paint buildup and the hardness of the gelcoat used by the manufacturer all play a part in the finish after blasting. If you have any questions I can be reached @ 800-901-GALE(4253).

Here is a pic of the finish left by my blasting- New Yellowfin that had never been painted. The yard had me blast it, instead of sanding it prior to its first coat of paint.
http://galeforceblasting.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/IMG_3904.jpg
http://galeforceblasting.com/

Now off to blast for the day- looking forward to todays high of 30

·
Premium Member
18,100 Posts
Just wanna step in real quick and say THANK YOU to all of those who support our advertisers :thumbsup:

-Pennsylvania guy,

As you can see here in this thread, our advertisers don't just support the BARN financially, many of them are also active members of our community who are willing to share their expert advise :thumbsup:

Any consideration you can give our advertisers is very much appreciated!

Good luck with your boat :)

·
Registered
9,118 Posts
I had mine soda blasted last winter from a Barn sponsor and it worked exactly as advertised. The hull came out in great shape. From reading on the boating forums it seems that most people had better experiences with soda blasting than sand blasting.
If I had to do it again I would have chosen the farrow system. The soda blast left the hull with a very smooth finish so I had to pay someone else four hours of labor to sand/scuff the hull in order to prep it to accept the barrier coat. Apparently that isn't necessary with the farrow system because it doesn't leave the hull as smooth. In the end I would have actually saved money by spending a little more to have a different vendor use the farrow system.
Not sure where you got that info but its not correct. The farrow system leaves the hull with a smoother finish. Soda blasting usually leaves the hull with a 80 grit finish which is perfect for barrier coat to be applied. I have seen a few that needed to be sanded a little bit but nothing crazy. We do all the finish work, barrier coating, painting ect. Just about every one that needed to be sanded were boats that were done using the farrow system becauce they are too smooth.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just wanna step in real quick and say THANK YOU to all of those who support our advertisers :thumbsup:

-Pennsylvania guy,

As you can see here in this thread, our advertisers don't just support the BARN financially, many of them are also active members of our community who are willing to share their expert advise :thumbsup:

Any consideration you can give our advertisers is very much appreciated!

Good luck with your boat :)

Phone Calls and Emails Sent! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
196 Posts
Bottom Blasting

Gale Force soda blasting did mine right in my drive way !He did a great job. When he was done all the boat needed was to be wiped down and painted.When he left, you could not even tell he was here except a very clean boat!!
I would highly recommend Gale Force !:thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
I would think that you would have to spray a new coat of gelcoat onto the hull. I think that that would be cost prohibitive. If you really wanted to, just apply a coat of epoxy paint. Its still expensive. Try a paint like Imron, but they may not sell it to you as you'll need a respirator when applying this stuff. Very toxic, but durable.

·
Banned
7,160 Posts
Modern Soda Blasting took care of my hull and bracket.

A 24 year young:rolleyes: hull with LOTS of paint on her. Mike and his helper came to my house, did the job, and took my old paint, the trash, and his materials with him. All i was left with was a clean, SMOOTH, naked hull. I was very happy with the results, the cost, the time to completion, and the after-job clean up.

Absolutely worth the money.:thumbsup:

Here are some pictures and information:

http://www.thebassbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=250755

·
Registered
191 Posts
Just so everyone understands the Farrow System can produce a profile as course as 80 grit sandpaper all the way down to a fine 200 grit sandpaper profile... all depending on the kind of media, media size and blast pressure you're using... on average we produce the equivalent of 80 grit sandpaper which is what we do for most boat jobs.

This is a photo I just took this evening of a boat I blasted over the weekend and painting today in our shop:

As Chris from Gale Force said it all comes down to the operator and who's doing the blasting..... and yes you do want someone who's experienced and not someone who just bought a sand pot and a compressor.

I'm not going to get into Farrow vs Sand vs Soda, because again it comes down to the operator and each process can produce simular results... but again you do want someone who's experienced.

I know with us we're extremely busy with our Farrow System which is one of the reasons I haven't been posting here.... and on average we're Farrow blasting and painting 3 boats a week at our Mount Holly shop and blasting another two or three boats on location... (Something to be said about the mild winter)

Anyway If you bring your boat to our shop in Mount Holly we can save you a lot of money on either the blasting or our package deal where we farrow blast and bottom paint your boat... (and yes... it's nice to have a big shop where you can work indoors on days when it's 15º outside)

This is a boat we just delived this weekend that got the full package deal...

Here she is her ugly bottom.

This is what she looked like after we Farrow blasted it.

The client wanted 4 coats of Interlux 2000E and 4 coats of Interlux Micron Extra (blue's a nice color)

Here's the same 23' SeaCraft all finished.

23' SeaCraft going home

Busy week in the shop... 21' ProLine on left which just had the bottom blasted, 23' SeaCraft (Center) finished and a 21' Proline CC (On right) getting ready for the full package treatment (Blasting and painting)

Bring your boat to us during January and February and save money and time so you can be fishing in the spring. .:thumbsup:

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It was good talking to you the other Night dale I will deffinately be talking to you this winter/spring to get farrow blasted. thanks again

Mike

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.