BASS BARN banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did pretty well this past fall imitating sand eels with avas and t-hexs. This was my first time really thowing them consistantly and giving them a good chance.

Was just curious if sand eels are a spring thing too? Or are they mainly in the fall?

· Registered
55 Posts
Sand eels can be an all season event as they were here her on LI this year. However we primarily see them in the spring. Some areas will hold lots of sand eels and some areas seem to have a void. This year the western sound compared to the eastern sound was a great example of that. Some are estuary spawn and some are off shore. There is no research that I have found indicating that sand eels spawn in estuaries; however I know they do because I see it every year. There is a lot of debate about cold winters correlating with a better hatch. I am not I line with that thinking, but it does have its advocates. They are a great primary bait, and don’t believe for a minute that there are only schoolies with sand eel bites!

· Registered
55 Posts
I find the size interesting as it is my belief that the larger sand eels are usually off shore spawns and the smaller one are local estuary spawns. We also had some huge sand eels this season. In May we had the typical off shore large sand eels, then came the small locals. This year the off shores never seemed to have left as usual, and we had a variety of sizes throughout the season. Interesting stuff!
:cool:

· Registered
1,101 Posts
We had a very solid year in Montauk. Very few blitzes due to the push of Danny and Bill-- but solid night bites in the fall. I have never seen that many sand eels in Montauk-- EVER! I would be happy with a repeat.:)
Indeed, visited Montauk for the first time in early October, and the sand eels were thick- I'm wading in shorts, and felt swarms of little taps on my anlkes, looked down- sand eels! Striper bellies were packed tight w/ em. Eel teasers caught 90% of the fish.

My primary fishing area-Brigantine-has the finer, white-grey sand, same as Wildwood, Cape May, etc. Further south, however, in Delaware, the sand seems to return to the coarser, browner sand prevalent in LBI and Montauk. It was explained to me that the sand is the reason that the sand eels arent in the Brigantine beach as they are in areas like Montauk.

· Registered
1,474 Posts
If you still use the sand eels teaser in summer it will still catch fish

so will avas with green tails.
Although in summer i like plain avas no tail, poppers and swimmer.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.