BASS BARN banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been fishing DB for a long time and I have never seen sand eels in the bay. Do they ever come into the bay? Has anyone ever seen them?

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
I would think that sand eels would prefer a sandy bottom.The bays bottom,from my experience is clay,marl or silt or a combination of the 3.That would also explain the absence of winter flounder in the bay too.I've never seen either species in the bay.If they do come into the bay,I would think they would be near the mouth of the bay where the bottom is more suitable.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Found in surf/stocked mostly up northern coast...

I used them frozen in Barnegat for fluke, an excellent bait offshore Barnegat ridge. Sand worms are great bait too, nasty alive, great for weakfish. I don't believe these are a part of the bay ecology...sand eels mostly are used up north. Some Info:http://fishing-live-bait.com/articles/fishing_live_bait_sand_eel.html

·
Registered
6,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I always knew they were found up North but I never heard of them in DB always wondered why:wave:

·
Registered
6,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So you dont think it could have something to do with the bays bottom?Sand eels?
if I would have to pick a reason that would be one of them, my GUESS would be the bay is too soft & muddy in most places. I fish the surf often in CM and have never seen them there either maybe that just do not come this far south in Jersey?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.