BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read a few posts that mention sand sharks as bait for flounder. Do you just fillet and cut into pendants to tip bucktails? Do sand sharks fall under the 48" requirement to keep? Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks. JB

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Sand sharks do not fall under the 48" requirement. You are right on about how to prepare for Fluke baits. It is the same as any other trash fish strips.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Makojoe,
Do the shark baits catch? If the last few weekends were any indication, will have plenty of fresh bait.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
My biggest fluke to date was caught on sandshark strip.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Here's a stupid question... what are the regs on sand sharks? And are sand sharks the same as dogfish? Ok... two questions.

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
No, but there's no need to rape the ocean clean of them either just because there are no limits. Take only what you need for bait. Send the rest swimming off unharmed please. Same goes for searobins and skates. I hate to see "trash fish" left for dead everywhere just because they are "trash fish".

Law:
"The minimum size limit for any species of shark, except dogfish (see
note below) is 48 inches total length:
Sharks ? Prohibited Species
basking shark sand tiger shark
whale shark bigeye sand tiger shark
white shark
The fins may not be removed from a shark, except after fishing has
ceased and such shark has been landed. A shark may be eviscerated and the
head and tail removed prior to landing, provided that the alternate length
as measured from the origin of the first dorsal fin to the pre-caudal pit
(located just forward of the origin of the upper lobe of the tail fin) is not
less than 23 inches in length. The possession limit is two shark per vessel.
Note: To differentiate sharks from dogfish ? the smooth dogfish has
flat, tiny teeth; the spiny dogfish has strong, dorsal spines, shorter than,
and in front of, the dorsal fins. Neither are present in sharks."
[ 06-06-2006, 02:21 PM: Message edited by: Fly Ty R ]

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Cut them just like you would squid strips. One thing I would do is shave the meat side down a bit to make them less thick. I've had better hook-ups this way.

I normally do this with any fish cut for bait.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Originally posted by Fly Ty R:
No, but there's no need to rape the ocean clean of them either just because there are no limits. Take only what you need for bait. Send the rest swimming off unharmed please. Same goes for searobins and skates. I hate to see "trash fish" left for dead everywhere just because they are "trash fish".

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr /> Law:
"The minimum size limit for any species of shark, except dogfish (see
note below) is 48 inches total length:
Sharks ? Prohibited Species
basking shark sand tiger shark
whale shark bigeye sand tiger shark
white shark
The fins may not be removed from a shark, except after fishing has
ceased and such shark has been landed. A shark may be eviscerated and the
head and tail removed prior to landing, provided that the alternate length
as measured from the origin of the first dorsal fin to the pre-caudal pit
(located just forward of the origin of the upper lobe of the tail fin) is not
less than 23 inches in length. The possession limit is two shark per vessel.
Note: To differentiate sharks from dogfish ? the smooth dogfish has
flat, tiny teeth; the spiny dogfish has strong, dorsal spines, shorter than,
and in front of, the dorsal fins. Neither are present in sharks."
</font>[/QUOTE]Ofcourse not... I don't kill anything I don't intend to eat, but may make an exception if I wanted to use a sand shark for bait... but I'm sure one goes a long way.

I had read the regulations before but couldn't find anything about dogfish other than the "note" you quoted.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I have used sand shark as bait but there is a trick to cutting it. First fillet the shark then cut the fillets into strips. Then take the strips and cut the skin off the strip leaving only an inch of skin left on the top of the strip. The skin will keep the strip on the hook but the rest of the strip will flutter perfectly.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the responses. I never see anyone leaving the trash fish for dead. My kids help throw them back for me so it's a fun thing. Last weekend prior to the lifeguards in SIC there were swimmers to either side of me in the surf. I caught a 3-4 footer which cleared them out real quick-funny.

·
Registered
6,383 Posts
believe it or not i am gonna get down there one of these weekends to catch somethin withya

ever been to the rink back on the bay???

·
Registered
31,674 Posts
Originally posted by Donna-Kate Charters:
I have used sand shark as bait but there is a trick to cutting it. First fillet the shark then cut the fillets into strips. Then take the strips and cut the skin off the strip leaving only an inch of skin left on the top of the strip. The skin will keep the strip on the hook but the rest of the strip will flutter perfectly.
GREAT TIP.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Sand sharks are probably one of my favorite strip baits. I find a nice long strip of them can last you for a long time and multiple fish becuase of how tough the skin is. Definately a great fluke bait not to mention youll be helping population control on these "endangered" fish.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Originally posted by Donna-Kate Charters:
Never heard of that one, good tip will give it a try. Like others said, great bait since it's really tough to get off the hook.

I wonder how shark strips would work if you salted them and reused them on future trips :confused:

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Steve,
The hockey court in SIC was down last year but I went by on our boat last weekend and looks to be back in business. There's a tournament down there later in the summer=not sure of the dates. Horn is coming down so I'll ask him to bring his goalie stuff if your interested in a skate or just want to shoot around. I'm down most weekends if you want to get together 263-6907 in SIC or cell 267-934-8981/ JB

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm now looking forward to catching my next sandshark. With the size of the ones in the surf last weekend, one will be enough bait for many strips. Thanks guys. JB

1 - 20 of 27 Posts