BASS BARN banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With all the sharks in the back bays, I hear some calling them sand sharks and some call them dogfish. They say the dogfish can sting you. Are these the same sharks or are they a different species and is there a picture of the kind that does sting you?

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Dogfish come in two varieties...smooth dogfish and spiny dogfish...smooth dogs have sandpaper mouths and are most commonly caught in the late spring, summer. Spiny dogs also have sandpaper mouths but also have a wicked pointed spine on the dorsal fin..cant remember if they have them on the caudal fins as well...they typically like colder water and are found more commonly in the late fall, winter.

As far as stinging you, smooth dogs dont...spiny dogs dont sting either but if you get pricked by the spine/s, it'll hurt and may have something in them that could infect your body part that gets pricked...

Phil L

·
Registered
550 Posts
I can't confirm that they have "poison" or anything to inject into but I did get hit in the forearm last fall by one of these guys and it hurt pretty bad and did swell up. You have to watch because if you grab them by the neck/throat they will roll their tall and can whack you with that spine.

John

·
Registered
462 Posts
Spiny dogfish are not bad eating.
I have kept a few big ones, steaked them, marinated and grilled them and they are pretty good.
I read about them a few years ago and I was surprised to learn that they are the primary fish in "fish and chips" in England.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Hey Phil- might want to take a closer look at those spiny dogs. They do have two spines on top and also have a nice set of teeth that could make your day go way wrong if you put your thumb in there-and as far as fall/late winter they are all over the wrecks right now! And they have strict commercial limits on them-go figure....

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
I have had them ram a spike into the gelcoat on the boat! They are actually decent eating if cared for properly....killed, gutted, headed and iced. The smoothies are generally grey while the Spineys are brownish with faint white dots. The spikes from what I have read can shatter and break into shards and will act like glass in your arm. Not a particularly friendly fish.

·
Registered
629 Posts
watch the lil ones ...their a lot faster and their spines are always sharper...step on their tail and grab em by the snout...immeaditly flush the wound with bleach if one of the green eyed bastards pokes ya...pass them recipes around and maybe give folks a taste for them..........

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.