BASS BARN banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished alone for fluke aboard my "Bertha" on Friday, 6/9.

Started at ~13:30 AM and fished until 4:00 PM with constant action throughout the entire day. I probably caught & released over 30 fluke with 10 of them over the NJ 16.5 inch minimum. Kept 5 nice ones from 17.5 - 23 inches for the table and released the rest.

There were a ton of fish in the 15.5-16.5 inch size range. I also caught and kept one ~21 inch fluke that had a nasty wound on it that looked like large teeth of claw marks that raked across its back and removed a chunk of its fin - definitely not the marks of a bluefish.

All of the fish were caught on squid/spearing combos or just squid strips. Most of the fish were found in rough bottom areas with depths from 18-30 feet and temps from 68 - 72 degrees.

Fished the Naval Pier, the coast guard ledge, the rip, the mouth of the Shrewsbury, the edge of Flynn's Knoll and even inside the AH public marina breakwall. The area of the coast guard ledge (which we call "The Nursery") was absolutley paved with short fluke, and I was catching 12-16 inchers as soon as my baits would hit bottom.

On Saturday, Johnny and I were supposed to compete in the JCAA fluke tourney aboard my boat, but the 5-6 foot whitecaps in the bay and the small craft advisory made us quickly change our plans.

Ended up jumping on the Sea Tiger for a rough ride through the bay followed by a 1/2 day of fluking down the beach. The boat was very crowded despite the rotten weather conditions.

Fluking down the beach yielded consistent action on shorts with a keeper coming over the rail for about every 20 shorts released. Pool winning fish was nice 6.5 pounder, however, there were no other contenders ... most of the other keepers were ones from 16.5 - 17.5 inches. A few bluefish, sundials, and sea robins were also brought aboard.

I ended up getting 8-9 shorts and a single keeper at 17 inches while Johnny caught and released 4-5 shorts. High hook on the boat probably had 3 keepers.

In the afternoon, we called Julian's and found out that the biggest fish weighed in for the tourney at the time was only a little over 2 pounds, so we decided to try to get out to fish for the last few hours.

By 2:00 PM, the conditions laid down enough for us to run out the Shrewsbury River. Tried drifting inside the AH marina breakwall to avoid the nasty winds, but even in the protected harbor, the conditions were deplorable. Johnny caught 1 keeper fluke at 16.5 inches which he released along with a single cocktail blue from the chocolate milk-colored waters before we returned to the barn.

Went to Julian's near the end of the tourney where we found out a 4.5 pounder was the lead fish.

- Gr8ful

[ 06-14-2006, 01:52 PM: Message edited by: Gr8ful One ]

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
friday 19 fluke up 4 1/2 lbs today 20 up to 3 lbs.killies on bucktailes rule.sandy hook bay at mouth of shrewsbury is hot.we went thru a quart of killies then switched to berkley gulp shrimp and crabs.yes they worked on bigger fish to.three of us in our boat.three limits in a row for me.i only had one limit day all of last season.

·
Banned
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Chris_K!

Good work Ekim. However, I am surprised that last year you didn't have any limit catches. We were getting 3 limits worth of keepers (all over 18") in just an hour last year in late June/Early July. :eek: :D :cool:

- Gr8ful

1 - 4 of 4 Posts