BASS BARN banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my brother, John, and my nephew, Stephen, aboard my "Bertha" for bass on Sat. 5/20.

Started near Old Orchard with fresh bunker that my bro and nephew snagged the night before. After catching a couple of blues and losing a singe large bass at boatside, it was obvious that the traffic in the Raritan Bay was going to make fishing difficult for us. (It certainly didn't help to have the ASA event competitors flying by us at Mach 1 to go get bunker in the back of the bay.) :( It was so crowded in Raritan Bay, it looked like fluking on the Memorial Day weekend. :eek:

Left the overcrowded Raritan Bay, and went outside the hook to try some bunker chunking.

One our way through the area of the hook, we were flagged down by 3 guys in a smaller cc that were obviously in need of some help. When I sidled my boat alongside of theirs, one of their crew members looked like he was eating a hoagie. Upon close inspection, I realized the "hoagie" was actually a Polish shad or Stretch 30+ plug that was buried into the poor guy's upper lip. Using heavy duty cutters, I was able to cut off the shank of the VMC red treble hook, so the barb could be pushed out the inside of his lip. OUCH!!! :eek:

Set up on the remainder fo the incoming tide to try some chunking, and we were soon joined by a couple of other boats. The boat closest to us was a 17-18' Key West with 2 guys fishing clams. While we were fishing near one another, our crew only caught 6 blues on chunks w/ a bunch of hook chew-offs. However, we watched the guys next to us clam at least 4 stripers. After they were done boxing their last keeper, they pulled their anchor and came over to offer us their leftover clams. That was way cool guys Thanks Again!!! :D :cool:

Using the dozen clams they gave us, we caught and released 7 bass and a couple more bluefish.

Ran back into the AH marina and picked up another bushel of clams before heading back out for the outgoing tide.

Outgoing tide produced another 17 bass up to 19 pounds. I also caught a pleasant surprise on a clam which turned out to be my first fluke of the 2006 season - a 17.75 inch keeper. (photo attached)

We all had a lot of missed fish and lost fish due to the heavy currents and high winds which blew steady at 10-20 knots from the W/SW most of the day. Water temps were in the low 60's.

- Gr8ful

·
Banned
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pgoins:

Yep ... yopur boat is right across the dock from us! I admire your curtain set-up enviously every time I walk past your boat.

I saw you guys in Raritan Bay on Saturday morning right off of our port side, but you guys did not stick around long. How did you guys make out in the traffic that day?

- Gr8ful

- Gr8ful

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Made a move to a spot I've been fishing since early april. We were all by ourselves and switched from live bunker to clams. Started picking away within minutes. Nothing big but at least we had some action. I saw you out there too. We went in at noon. Started at 4 am so we were done by then. We were way back early and got plenty of bait. It was a mob scene back there.

·
Registered
7,824 Posts
Nice report but how did the numbers shake out for each angler? You don't have to answer that since you were kind eneough to take me for a days fishing. :D :D

That dude with the stretch in his face looked like he was chomping down on a very colorful hoagie. That must have sucked!

Stephen and myself fished the two previos days with worse weather and less boat traffic in the reach. Much better fishing, more and bigger bass. However it was a good call to move to the Hook for some rip action.......GOOD CALL BRO!

On a side note I think high gas prices are negatively affecting "Chum Slick Etiquet". People now seem unwilling to go around you. I figure that is a better theory than the one that most fisherman are A-Holes.

·
Banned
1,301 Posts
"On a side note I think high gas prices are negatively affecting "Chum Slick Etiquet". People now seem unwilling to go around you. I figure that is a better theory than the one that most fisherman are A-Holes."

Yeah, but even if they do it to save gas, they're still gonna get the "single finger salute" when they get as close as some people did on Saturday morning... after all, you don't want to show discrimination by only communicating with the A-holes! :D

By the way, the #'s were as follows: 11 BASS FOR PROCASTINATOR, 7 bass + 1 keeper fluke for Gr8ful & 6 bass for the boy.

Looks like, you won the bass category. However, I crushed the both of you in the fluke category, since you both got skunked on flatfish!
;) :D

It was fun day, and I look forward to fishing with you and the kid again real soon.

- Gr8ful

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.